Dell E6400/6500 research thread

Mariusz

OK I have a working SD Card Reader with new VoodooSDHC.kext now. (posts updated)

What interests me now is why you are unable to put your laptop to sleep. Share more info about your BIOS ver and configuration, maybe I could replicate your config and see if mine won't go to sleep to.

Hello everyone,

I bought an E6400 last week to run OSX, like a real MacBook.

Right now I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Running like a dream.

My specs are as follows

CPU: Intel Core2Duo T9600 2.8Ghz 
GPU: 256MB Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
RAM: 4GB 
HDD: 160GB
Wifi: Intel Wifi Link
Bluetooth: Dell 370 Card
Webcam: None
Other: Backlit KB, Ambient light sensor

I have been trying to boot into Snow Leopard with I will admit it: A bootleg copy!

That was an epic failure. I bought the REAL Snow Leopard two days ago on the Apple Store. I sent it to a friend's house, because I am going to visit them tomorrow. So I can begin the install tomorrow.

Moral of story: When trying to hackintosh, use the legit copy. It's only $30 bucks! Click here to buy it.

Side notes: I know that the Intel Wifi Link won't work at ALL. So I going to purchase the Atheros AR5B91 That card is from the Sony Vaio, but over at the InsanelyMac forums, they love it because it works OOB (out of box).

I have planned some upgrades for the E6400. If you care, click the button. If not, great!

The upgrades I am going to do are add 8GB ram, 120-160GB SSD, and take out the DVD drive and add a 1TB drive in a caddy.

I have two options for the dual boot of OS X and Windows 7;

160GB SSD for OS X alone, 250GB partition on 1TB drive for Windows.

Both Windows 7 and OS X on 160GB partition, use file system on 1TB that can work for both OS'es.

I'll be back to these forums with an update on how the install went. Eventually I plan on making a tutorial, because all the other one's are from 2009.

Good to have another E6400 NVS160m user here. I agree - use legit copy - I have bought Lion on my iTunes account. I'm waiting on how you will progress in OSX install, a specially in case of sleep with your T9600 CPU.

Also it is good to know that Atheros AR5B91 works out of box - do test it against Lion and confirm that.

As for tutorial You can use the one on wiki more or less - this will work for SL and Lion. All you basically need is chameleon pen drive with dsdt and fakesmc.kext (if you use external USB keyboard/mouse) - I'll share mine on the second post soon.

Also I encourage all users to update their signature and include simple hardware/software specs of theirs OSXLatitudes.

Hey everyone, I'm back.

I successfully install Snow Leopard Retail on a 20GB harddrive. That's the only good news I have.

Ethernet, Battery, Touchpad,Video, and other things don't work.

Ethernet: Can't connect to internet

Battery: OSX knows there's a battery, but doesn't change when you plug/unplug the laptop

Touchpad: Touching it makes the screen flip out, opening lots of programs and clicking random stuff

Video: Only 1200x720 (or something like that)

This is after I installed some kexts.

I'm trying to test some more.

PS: Sleep freezes the computer

Base Unit: Latitude E6400, Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26GHz, 1066MHz 3M

L2 Cache, Dual Core

Memory: 8.0GB, DDR2â€800 SDRAM, 2 DIMM

Keyboard: Internal Backlit English Keyboard for Latitude E

Documentation: Documentation (English) Latitude Eâ€Family/Mobile Precision

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, 256MB With PCâ€Card

Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Drive 9.5MM,7400RPM

Fingerprint Reader: Internal Fingerprint Reader Latitude E6400

LCD: 14.1 inch Wide WXGA Antiglare Screen for Latitude E6400

Finish: Black Finish for WXGA Backlight LCD, Latitude E6400

Webcam:: Integrated webcam with single digital microphone, Latitude

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth 2.1 Minicard for Latitude E/Mobile Precision

Power Adapter: 90W 3â€Pin, AC Adapter for Latitude Eâ€Family

Power Cord: US â€3â€FT, 3â€Pin Flat Eâ€FamilyPower Cord for Latitude Eâ€Family

CDâ€ROM or DVDâ€ROM Drive:

8X DVD+/â€RW for Latitude Eâ€Family

Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n 3X3) 1/2 MiniCard

Quick Reference Guide for Latitude E6400

Feature 6â€Cell/54â€WHr Battery for Latitude E/Mobile Precision

Mac Lion 10.7.3 Install Possible 100%??????????????

Thank u so much!