[SOLVED] E7240 HS / Mojave no audio output device

sykojgee

Hi

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

Dell E7240 currently running HS but have run Mojave also.

I can’t get the audio to work with the ALC292 and patched AppleHDA kexts always shows no output device.

Found a guide which said to apply hot patches using clover configurator which I have done, each time I rebuild the Kext cache and can see the Kext being loaded, but still no audio, injected layout 12 which apparently it’s the supported for the codec.

The voodooHDA Kext works but it screws up the mic a lot.

hope someone has an idea what to try next

I would up load files but for some reason I cant log in on a laptop as the account shows locked out, but I can only my phone.

• Moderators

If you're using AppleHDA_ALC292 with hotpatches, you need to use layout-id 1

Layout-id 12 if you're using Lilu.kext + AppleALC.kext. without hot patches.

In both options, you'll need the vanilla AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E.

• Like 1

Thanks Jake,

I copied the kext into /L/E and repaired permissions and rebuilt the cache - saw that the ALC292 kext was picked up

checked the config.plist and layout 1 was selected. rebooted, still no sound device detected.

I have formatted and reinstalled HS and added the ALC292 kext, layout-id1  rebooted and still no audio device.

I must be missing something

I have managed to log back to the site on my laptop - I have attached my config.plist and screen grabs of the files in the locations

config+grabs.zip

2 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Yes, replace with this one if it's not working

Use layout-id 1

this enabled sound on my dell latitude e6540 after trying around quite sometime. Thank you very much Sir! 😀

Mojave on SSD performs extremly well on this laptop. 

Later this day i upload my efi folder just in case. Perhaps it helps someone. 

But now i need some sleep 😴

• Moderators

@Andy Gibson

I see you have layout-id 12 in DSDT and you have AppleALC + Lilu. Why don't you change layout-id in Config to 12 or just leave it blank.

Remove AppleHDA_ALC292.kext from /L/E

Disable/Remove the AppleHDA hot patches in Config

Repair permissions and rebuild cache

• Like 1

here is my efi folder. Of course it could be more optimized but i am glad the rig runs like it should for now. Even metal runs with hd4600. I took some unnecessary stuff out.

I read somewhere that whatevergreen isnt necessary in 10.14 anymore. is this true? i just could disable it in the clover boot menu but i would like to know the hole story first. Not that i end up with a black screen and dont know why.

In 10.13.6 the sound works even without applealc.kext in clover. 

So far ...