Snow Leopard Flash Drive question

Kenny T.

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, but I have successfully put OS X 10.5 on my laptop before. I have a Latitude D520, t2300 @1.66 ghz, 80gb sata (soon to be 320gb), 4gb RAM, Intel GMA 950, Broadcom 43xx WIFI card.

My question is about making a snow leopard flash drive as described in the guide. I bought a retail disc, but it turns out my disc is 10.6.3., not 10.6.0 as it says I need. Will this work? If not, is there a way to solve this problem? Anyway, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help and work on everything :)

-Kenny

UPDATE: I installed show Leopard about 7 times today. I couldn't figure out which of the extra folders to download off of this site and put on mah flash drive. I eventually decided to use the one for my specific laptop model. It gives me quartz extreme, and MOST everyhting works right. I find that if I use the generic extra folder on my flash drive I end up having to boot with the -f code every time i boot into OS X, and even with that sometimes I get kernel panics. So I now have everything working on this laptop EXCEPT the keyboard and mouse. I have been installing these kexts before I install any updates, so my system installs them at STOCK configuration of 10.6.3. I will mess around with EDP to try to figure out how to get my keyboard to work. Any help would be much appreciated. And BTW im using the article on the wiki for how to make the flash drive with sl. Thanks :)

• Administrators

Hi kenny...

To avoid having to use -f each time you boot you need to rebuild the mkext. Either use the EDP tool or Kext Utility. Actually, you need to rebuilt the mkext each time you install new kexts for faster booting and system stability.

Cheers!

Hi kenny...

To avoid having to use -f each time you boot you need to rebuild the mkext. Either use the EDP tool or Kext Utility. Actually, you need to rebuilt the mkext each time you install new kexts for faster booting and system stability.

Cheers!

Thanks for that tip. Just an update, I've been running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 now for about 2 days, with no problems. After the update to 10.6.8, i noticed everything was really slow. So I reinstalled KEXTs (via edp) and now EVERYTHING works. There is not one thing that doesn't work on this laptop. I am so thankful to you guys, and I will probably upload a YouTube video of it running. So again, thanks everyone, I really appreciate your work on all of this :)

One question though... I would like to run lion, and for that I need a 64bit processor that will work in my laptop. I think ive heard that the t7200 will work.... Any suggestions for which processor to choose?? :D