E6540 CPU throttle w/Dell adapter...

KingPrawn

Hey, all.

I was considering putting OSX on my E6540 but I'm seeing hard CPU throttling to around ~30% under load in Windows. I can't tolerate a 799mhz system under load, regardless of what OS it has. I've tried to find info on it but what I've read is that it's a Dell hardware thing and environment independent. I'm using a factory 130w Dell power supply and bought a second new one in case one was going bad. It's the same with the brand new one as well.

I'm turning to y'all cause this is the only place I can think of that would have the answer. Everything else seems to be about the chargers being non-authentic but I have two legit ones, or some stuff about Dell adding some BIOS stuff to artificially limit the speed if it detects a non-genuine charger. Again, I have genuine chargers.

Does anyone have any experience, tips, black magic, modded BIOS's? If I can't solve it I'm just going to sell it. :(

Thank you.

I should also note that it's not overheating. The throttling is immediate when a full load is applied. Like rendering video, comp/decomp files etc. I've tried using ThrottleStop, checked all my drivers etc,  SpeedStep on/off. it always happens and the fans don't even spin up really. I've tried basically everything I've read online to solve the issue and I've just hit a wall. I tried updating to the newest BIOS, nada. Unless there's an older BIOS that doesn't include the speculated limitation... I don't know.

I thought I should clarify that I've tried a lot of stuff already.

• Administrators

I have a Latitude E6440 and CPU SpeedStep/power management is running fine under OS X/macOS with the generated CPU power management SSDT. I've never nor experienced any CPU speed limitation due to a power adapter and I do not believe there would be one (I use a cigarette lighter-to-Dell adapter in my car w/o issues). SpeedStep should be enabled/ON in BIOS as well as all CPU cores. In OS X/macOS, make sure you do not use the Turbo disabler kext when on battery.

My E6440 with i5-4300M @2.6GHz throttles as expected between 800MHz when idle to 3.3GHz Turbo boost, granted that all intermediary frequencies between LFM and HFM cannot be achieved, only very few.

x8.jpg x17.jpg x26.jpg

x32.jpg x33.jpg

As for behaviour under Windows, well this is a Hackintosh forum, so....

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to cover the bases before spending the time to install OSX if it was just going to do the same thing. I have the i7 2.5 and from what I’ve read Dell throttled this one due to temps overwhelming the cooler. *shrug*

I needed it so my girl could use Final Cut. 

Thanks again. 

17 hours ago, Hervé said:

I have a Latitude E6440 and CPU SpeedStep/power management is running fine under OS X/macOS with the generated CPU power management SSDT. I've never nor experienced any CPU speed limitation due to a power adapter and I do not believe there would be one (I use a cigarette lighter-to-Dell adapter in my car w/o issues). SpeedStep should be enabled/ON in BIOS as well as all CPU cores. In OS X/macOS, make sure you do not use the Turbo disabler kext when on battery.

My E6440 with i5-4300M @2.6GHz throttles as expected between 800MHz when idle to 3.3GHz Turbo boost, granted that all intermediary frequencies between LFM and HFM cannot be achieved, only very few.

x8.jpg x17.jpg x26.jpg

x32.jpg x33.jpg

As for behaviour under Windows, well this is a Hackintosh forum, so....

Thanks for your feedback. I can use that to compare. I’m at a loss with this thing. I’ll try testing again tomorrow.