E6420 research thread

Stork

You've added the nvidia stuff to IGPU, that makes no sense

This HDMI codec has 3 devices DP1 and DP2 on dock, the hdmi device on the laptop is the last which is not working, only DP2 (which is the 1st) on dock is working

Would like to post my experiences so far with my E6420. First the specs -

• BIOS A21
  • I5 2540M
  • NVS4200M
  • 4GB RAM
  • 1TB HD - GPT, Windows 8.1 installed (400GB).
  • Optimus Enabled.

Well I followed this guide https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-yosemite-install-guide/ and OSX Yosemite installed on the free space of the HD. Have to set disabled NVidia in boot.plist for the screen to come up OK, if not I have corrupted screen. Audio is Grey out, after logon "Bluetooth Assistance" comes up (no keyboard found) although keyboard is working. Wireless card is on the way from China, so I cannot say if the wireless is working.

Anyway, I have Windows 8.1 on this machine so I though I try Clover for dual booting with this guide https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6935-guide-e6420-os-x-yosemite-10100-finalgm-3pb-4/  and guess what? OSX failed with KP and the culprit is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Windows boot fine no problem, actually it booted faster than before.

If I set UEFI boot in BIOS Windows boot OK, but OSX boot not working all I got is blank screen. If BIOS is Legacy, Windows still boot OK.

OSX came up with "Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (v196.0) Already Prelinked (v128.0)" and got KP afterwards. The same happens if I boot with "Nocaches", this time no message about "Refusing" but still failed with "No HPETs!" and the culprit is AppleIntelCPU kext.

And the strange thing is that Clover report boot args - j! ij! mnne!...

Tried Clover 2k3133, 2k2999, 2k2985 same results.

Anyway, with this setup I can only use Chameleon boot from USB and not clover.

Help on getting Clover working properly so that I can boot from HD.

fixHPET is [+] in Clover GUI all the time.

Clover generated DSDT is used and still KP with HPETs.

Will try with different Boot Pack and report back.

Edit 1 -

Got it to boot to OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, ran Hackintosh Vietnam Tool - "Fix AICPUM" and there is no more HPETs problem. Got sound with latest AplleHDA kext from Jake Lo.

Cannot use NVS 4200M at the moment - Got some weird screen artifacts, purple stripes and low screen resolution. See that "display" reports 2 GPUs (NVIDIA and Intel). Tried to disable "Optimus" and OSX hang at "GEForce Started". Have to enabled "Optimus" and disable NViDia with "nv_disable=1" under boot options, then I only have HD3000 in "display" no QE/CI.

Next steps - have to get NVS 4200M to work properly.

• Moderators

I made a fresh install with your files, but no HDMI-Audio, no internal display, the battery symbol shows me a x, i think there are a few hardware differences to your E6520

Tested with optimus disabled

After a lot of trial and error, I finally got the NVS display working with the original DSDT. I guess Apple has made a lot of changes to their video kexts since 10.9.2 ( Nvidia and Intel). I went back and tested all the installer from 10.9.0 -> 10.9.5 and 10.10.1. That last version that the internal display shows up is 10.9.2. So I rolled back 10.9.5 installer nvidia files with 10.9.2 and it worked and also worked on 10.10.1. 

Files I replaced are:

NVDAGF100Hal

NVDAResman

NVDAStartup (optional- works without roll back)

So far I haven't see any issue, but will need further testing.

Attached are the files if you don't have 10.9.2. Also included is an updated DSDT to fix the Battery issue and IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext to fix the DVD Player error.

NVS4200m.zip

• Like 1

The whole effort was not necessary, because with my patched dsdt the internal screen and hdmi-video is working with yosemite, but thanks anyway

What i want to fix is hdmi-audio, for now it only works with voodoohda, which i don't want to use

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My system is:
System: Dell E6420 + bootloader(chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) [from multifail])[/size]
CPU: Intel i5-2450M + Mobile Intel® QM67 Express Chipset[/size]
Graphics: NVIDIA® NVSâ„¢ 4200M (DDR3 512MB) [/size](1600x900) [/size]
Display: [/size]14.0 HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED[/size]

No idea what kexts to use and I can't find a compatible bootpack. I didn't use any of these guides because I couldn't find anything that matches my machine exactly.[/size]

I currently can one boot in safe mode but I was able to get OSX Yosemite installed.4[/size]

DSDT Working Folder1.zip