E6420 research thread

Stork

I'm trying to install Yosemite on a E6420 that currently has Maverick installed.

I set up the USB as per here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-e6xxxe7xxx-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45213

But when I boot to the USB, select install with -v -f, the install progresses past reading all the kext files and when I think it's about to go to the installation screen, the screen slowly turns whiteish. I'm pretty sure that means that I have either an incorrect bootpack or extras file, but I don't know what my next steps are.

The processor is i5-2520M, graphics HD3000 resolution 1300 x 900.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you mean 1600x900 or 1366x768?

If you currently have Mavericks working, then use the same DSDT.aml on the Installer.

Adding the DSDT.aml from the existing install seems to have done the trick. I'm now able to see the install screen.

I meant to say 1600x900.

Thanks for the assistance.

So I was able to mostly successfully complete the install of Yosemite, but I have no wifi as it doesn't detect the hardware. I tried to install the kext from my Maverick installation, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Also due to having no wifi, I can't run the Chameleon Wizard as it wants to use the network. I'm sure there's an ethernet cable around here somewhere, but I'm just visiting so I don't know where it would be.

It also appears that I don't have sound, but that's a lesser issue.

• Moderators

What wireless card do you have? 

Please include device ID and vendor ID

For sound, you need to install the patched AppleHDA. 

See my guide Yosemite Guide in my signature below. Attached is in post #2

To clarify, I think you're saying I need to use Herve's suggestion to update the plist file as suggested here:

Patching means adding the PCI ids of the listed card to the Info.plist file found inside the listed kext. In rare cases, binary patching may also be necessary.

For some cards, DSDT Patching can be a suitable and permanent alternative to kext patching (no need to repatch after OS X updates and upgrades or new installations). For instance, in the case of the AR5B95 card (chip AR9285 168c,2b), adding compatibility with a chip known to be supported OOB such as AR9380 168c,30 or AR9280 168,2a (as found in the vanilla Atheros40 kext) in a _DSM method for the identified DSDT device does the trick once and for all since it'll make the OS load the associated kext

Is that correct? If not, what am I missing?

See here, there's a DSDT patch at the bottom where you no longer need to manually patch the kext or replace it on every upgrade.

You'll have to check in ioreg to see the device location to be patch.