Strange "glitch" with Nvidia card

Lysergatek

Hi !

So, I got my new computer and I installed macOS Mojave on one of its SSD.

But I have a problem: my screen will really really often like, refresh itself, if it makes any sense

Like when you change the screen resolution, the screen goes black for few seconds then came back up

It's happening like 5 or 6 times in 10 minutes, really annoying, to the point that I'm thinking of switching completely to Windows. (Tho, let's try to fix that problem before getting that extreme)

Other than that, I have graphics acceleration, metal supported and all that stuff, the only really problem is that refresh thing

I wanna know if some of you already issued this, and if you fixed it.

I'm using a GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 on a Optiplex 7010 MT (i5 3570/Q77) and latest version of Lilu+WhateverGreen

Thanks !

Here's my Clover folder, if it can help !

CLOVER.zip

• Administrators

According to Dell's documentation, the 7010 MT has a 275W power supply and its PCIe x16 slot supports 75W max, the PCIe x4 supporting 25W max. So it'll depend on the card's own specs, knowing that Nvidia says that the GeForce GT730 DDR5 GPU draws 25W and recommends a power supply of 300W min.

So, yes, specs could be borderline on the power front...

I'd say that it's unlikely.

I can play games for hours on Windows without any problems.

So It's a macOS specific issue, if it was a power issue, I would have the same problem on Windows (especially when gaming)

I'm thinking about a driver issue, but I really don't have an idea on how to fix this problem

EDIT: Okay, so I found a video showing excactly what's happening to me: 

Edited by Lysergatek

• Administrators

You forget that OS X/macOS is much more graphics intensive than Windows. As such, the card can be expected to draw more power under macOS than under Windows.

This being said, in the video, we can clearly see the "cut" during heavier demands on graphics ressources. Are you able to monitor GPU throttling through HWMonitor? I'm asking because it could be that you need to apply some form of AGPM tuning in order for the card's capabilities to be fully utilised. I actually wonder if your issue would not come from a lack of throttling with a GPU stuck in low speed without ever throttling up and down...

It's going back several years back now but I used to run a Dell Vostro 200 desktop as a Hackintosh and I fitted a GeForce GT610 in it. Once I tuned FakeSMC to the SMC keys of my selected SMBIOS (iMac10,1), I was able to see full GPU throttling in HWMonitor. Id' give that a shot if I were you.

You may also want to have a look at AGPM tuning as detailed here:

You may also experiment with other SMBIOS profiles such as MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1 to see if it helps on GPU throttling. Use FakeSMC and its sensors to be able to run and use HWMonitor app.

Yeah I know macOS is much more graphics intensive than Windows, but in games, the graphics cars is pushed to the max anyway, so it would be logical to think that I would have the same issue ?

I'll be honest, I was just so pissed off, I erased my macOS SSD, I didn't had/have the time or energy to fiddle around trying to fix a computer that I need to just work
I'm starting to like more and more Windows (I was surprised to see that It's not anymore the piece of garbage I left few years ago)

Maybe I'll be back on macOS sooner or later than expected, I don't know. (well I'm keeping macOS on my family computer but that's another story, since It's not my main rig and it was so easy to get working with no hassle)

But anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to me, I always loved the Hackintosh community, have all a great day :)

Hi Hervé !

Well, not really !

I have reinstalled macOS, because I really hate giving up on something I love (aka macOS), so I have macOS 10.13.6 installed

I have reinstalled it because at christmas, I'll buy a GTX 1060, so even if I can't get that GT730 to work, I think the 1060 should be hassle-free, just install the web-driver and here it goes ! (I hope)

So yeah, I'll happily take a look at your own experience with that card (to see if macOS have compatibility issue with the 730, or if it's really because of my card)

And I'm sure at 100% this wasn't a power issue, because, in prevision to that 1060, I buyed a Corsair CX650M 650W power supply, and I still have the same issue

• Administrators

Indeed, the GTX 1060 should just require the Web driver. That's all I've needed with the GT 1030 I've also recently acquired. It's working without any issues in my old Vostro200 and it's only fitted with a 250W power supply. Obviously High Sierra 10.13.6 is the end of the line with those Pascal cards at the moment since there are no web drivers for Mojave.

• Administrators

Got the card today and have had it running for the last 2.5hrs. It's the Asus GT730-2GB-BRK low-profile model, based on GK208B Kepler GPU and running @PCIe x8 (despite x16 format). It's been running 100% trouble free for the last 3hrs (browsing, YouTube, DVP Player), I've not experienced that "glitch" of yours. I did a straight swap with the GeForce GT1030 so initially running with the nVidia Web driver v387.10.10.10.40.108.

HighSierra_10.13.6_Kepler_GT730.jpg

GT730.jpg

Web_Driver_#1.jpg

Web_Driver_#2.jpg

OpenGL_Ext_Viewer_Web_Driver.jpg

OpenGL_tests_Web_Driver.jpg