Precision M6600, no video ports working, no USB 3 Working

ggmartinez

Hello guys.

I have an almost fully working install of High Sierra on my Dell Precision M6600. Right now I'm having only 3 issues, but I'm not being able to solve them.

The issues are:

- No sleep working (doesn't bother me really, I don't care if it cannot be solved, didn't tried lot of things for it)

- No USB3 working (would like to make it work, but really, don't know where to start)

- No VGA/HDMI output working (it's a pain in the a$$, tried lot of things).

A few Hardware details:

- Intel Core i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

- 16 GB DDR3 RAM

- Intel HD 3000

- NVIDIA Quadro 4000M 

- Optimus is disabled, so the Intel HD is not working, and only the NVIDIA card is being used.

I have "Inject NVIDIA" enabled in Clover, otherwise the system won't boot, and a little detail is that the video card is recognized as "Dell Quadro 4000M". The acceleration is fully working, as the Metal API support.

For the HDMI/VGA ports I've tried:

- Lilu Kext

- WhateverGreen (really had hope that it would fix the issue)

- Nvidiagraphicsfixup (yeah, is old, but tried it anyway)

- Using MacbookPro 11,2 SMBIOS (saw on another forum that worked on another laptop with the same video card)

I attach my Clover folder and my IOReg dump.

Thank you guys, best regards.

Archive.zip

• Administrators

MacBookPro11,2 is probably not suitable since it's a Haswell platform with iGPU only when your M6600 is Sandy Bridge with dGPU. We had numerous people here in the past who reported booting to black screen on their M4600. Tuning the SMBIOS to MacBookPro10,1 appeared to fix the issue.

Further tuning to MacBookPro6,1/6,2 with Board id of MacBooPro10,1(Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F) triggered full CPU SpeedStep/power management. Give that a try... You may also want to try to inject your nVidia properties into a patched DSDT.

You should also arrange to tune your FakeSMC for GPU throttling through AGPM and ensure you won't suffer from either graphics glitches (due to low GPU speed) or overheating (due to GPU running at high speed). More details here:

• Administrators

USB3 would probably work with the appropriate Darwin DSDT injection. But there's no extracted or patched DSDT in the Clover folder you posted so I suggest you extract it to Clover EFI ACPI/origin folder by pressing F4 (you can do it w a few times and wait a few seconds) once you're at Clover's main menu before booting the macOS partition.

• Administrators

There you are; copy this patched DSDT file to ACPI/patched folder.

DSDT.aml.zip

Changes I've done to ensure you get USB3 supported by default are:

1) under method _SB.PCI0.IINI

replaced

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006"))
                {
                    Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
                }

by

If (LOr (_OSI ("Darwin"), _OSI ("Windows 2006")))     // injects OS X/macOS for USB3 support
                {
                    Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
                }

2) under device HPET

replaced

Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
                            0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                            0x00000400,         // Address Length
                            _Y0F)
                    })

by

Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        IRQNoFlags ()           // fixes HPET for USB support
                            {0,8,11,15}
                        Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
                            0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                            0x00000400,         // Address Length
                            _Y0F)
                    })

I've also noticed you had a rather odd SSDT table in your ACPI/patched folder  and I would invite you to get rid of it to regenerate a proper CPU-specific SSDT using Pike R Alpha's well-known generator script. The table you've picked up at that best-avoided place is probably inappropriate and inadequate today...

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

Removed the file and added the file you posted, but still not working.

Regarding Pike R Alpha's ssdtPRGen, I'm trying to use, but I'm getting this warnings/errors

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0703 instead of 0x0603)
     - Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type
Error: board-id [Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F] not supported by Sandy Bridge – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

It gave me the option to continue, did it, but it says "0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 optimizations".

On the other hand, tried to use MacbookPro6,1 System definition with 10,1 board ID, and it hangs on boot, with this message: "busy timeout acpi_smc_platformplugin"