Stumped on how to get audio on Mojave

spidey123

HI guys, just installed Mojave on my Dell e6420 and everything is working great, but I can't figure out how to get the audio working.  Im still using the same kexts from the bootpack for High Sierra.  Are there any new kexts or kext updates to get audio back?

Thank you.

Ok, so I've made some progress.  I have sound when I connect to my TV via HDMI.  The Internal Speakers show up under Sound but no sound from the speakers?  Wonder if it has something to do with new SMBIOS I switched to for Mojave support???  I've  made new debug files.

Or maybe the AppleHDA.kext wasn't replaced during the upgrade?  Highly doubt that.

I know that must be Vanilla. But I'm fairly certain it was always Vanilla to begin with.

Also, Itunes turns on then crashes, everytime.  Pretty certain that has something to do with whatever is causing the sound issue.  I even generated a new SSDT.  Still same results.

Hmmm ohhhh 8.2.  I actually chose macbookAir5.1 and graphically it works flawlessly.  I have no issues at all with graphics or USB.  They all work.   Just sound from speakers doesnt work (via headphones it does) and iTunes doesnt work.  It turns on for about 10 seconds and then auto closes with the error reporting message box. 

Ok, i'll read into this though and report back with results at some point this week.  Thanks Jake Lo

So I took a look at my current PlatformSupport.plist Jake Lo and the MacBookAir5.1 is already on the list of supported Mac Boards.  So I don't think this is the issue. Unless the MacBookAir5.1 doesnt play nicely with the e6420 sound components, if that is the case then I guess I will need to switch the Pro8.2.  What I have found so far though is that the Graphics work much better than when I was on Sierra with the Pro8.1 Smbios.  Had no need for either the Lilu or the WHatevergreen kexts.  I have added them to Clover Other folder now anyways.  I also noticed that in the post you mentioned above that there were actually 6 HD3000 kexts.  I had only found and installed 5 , I've installed all 6 now, made no difference though. 

Could it possibly be the AppleALC.kext (latest) doesn't work well i.e. Maybe I need an older version?  What do you think Jake Lo? 

P.s  I forgot to mention I'm on APFS file system. Again I don't think that is causing the issue.  I think it's either the SMBios or the AppleALC.kext isn't properly patched for my layout id.

p.s #2  iTunes issue was my fault.  It's fixed now.  Only the speaker sound issue remains. 

• Moderators

I don't know if it's really to smbios, but I do know MBA5,2 is for IvyBridge HD4000, you have SandyBridge HD3000 which is no supported in Mojave, which I see why you had to replace kexts from 10.13.6.

If you prefer MBA, go with MBA4,2 for SandyBridge.

As for AppleALC.kext, it works fine on Mojave. You could try adding boot arg -lilubetaall -alcbeta

• Added IDT 92HD90BXX layout-id 12 for Dell Latitude E6x20/Dell Precision Mx600 by vusun123