D430 will not boot to USB installer

dparm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

I am new to hackintosh and got stuck on the very beginning, so I think it is a good idea to reuse this thread.

I assume that a working OSX machine is needed to prepare the usb stick even when using the second method, isn't it?

My attempt was to unmount a 16 GB pendrive (from Ubuntu) and dump the premade image on it using bzcat. Afterwards, I noticed that gparted didn't recognize any filesystem and the pendrive cannot be used to boot a pc.

So, the first steps of the method 1 are needed?

Is there a way to do it from windows or linux?

• Administrators

well there's a 3'rd way to install using

d620slv1.iso to boot and install osx

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178411

imidiately after osx is installed stop using his guide and follow our guide...

his methodes are 2 years old and ment for 10.6.0 our package has newest kext files for 10.6.6 compatability also don't forget about installing chameleon 2 rc5 rev 665 or higher

I finally got it!

I followed an awkward way but it worked. In short, I installed windows 7 and vmware and used a Leopard vmware image (http://www.sysprobs.com/install-mac-os-1055-leopard-virtualbox-314-installation-dvd ) to dump the premade image to the pendrive. It worked like a charm!

First I tried with virtualbox (as suggested in the link), but bzcat was taking ages. When using -vv to get some kind of progress information, it was going extremely slow.

It's a pity that I didn't manage to do it with Ubuntu instead. In fact, I didn't fiddled with disk utility nor something distinct than unmount & bzcat.

well there's a 3'rd way to install using

d620slv1.iso to boot and install osx

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178411

imidiately after osx is installed stop using his guide and follow our guide...

his methodes are 2 years old and ment for 10.6.0 our package has newest kext files for 10.6.6 compatability also don't forget about installing chameleon 2 rc5 rev 665 or higher

Thanks for the tip re. Leppy's install method, which I just had to use to get my D430 up and running. I'd previously installed Snow Leo using your USB pen method and it worked fine, but when I updated to 10.6.7 I lost my wifi. Said that no Airport card was installed. I have a Dell 1390 which worked great in 10.6.3. I hadn't installed EDP 1.6 yet, so I gave that a try and kept getting kernel panics at reboot, so decided to wipe everything clean and start over.

Couldn't find my USB pen (!) so used the Leppy method with a retail 10.6.0.

Install went fine and I'm now at 10.6.0, without applying Leppy's post install stuff, as I'd like to proceed directly with your EDP 1.6. Or would you recommend 1.7?

Can you install 1.6 (or 1.7) without a USB pen?