Dell e6420 HD3000 and Mojave 10.14.2 new booting issue

spidey123

Good morning to all.  

Just updated from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2  on Dell e6420 using the same MacbookAir 5,1 SMBiOS that allowed me to use my old dell with 10.14 and 10.14.1 but ever since the update today to 10.14.2 the only way I can boot is in safe mode, then in safe mode I have to rebuild cache and restart.  The first time it boots properly again but if I restart again, I get the same issue, half way thru booting the screen turns black and the computer restarts over and over i.e.  It never fully boots up.  I'm thinking maybe I need a config or kext update? I also updated Clover to the latest but still same result.  Another thing is  maybe I need to place my older High Sierra HD3000 kexts into /L/E rather than /S/L/E    

I have attached my new debug files.

Any suggestions guys???  Thanks as always.

debug_29949.zip

• Administrators

Replace the platform support plist by the patched version and revert to MBP8,1 SMBIOS?

You should always install your add-on kexts in /L/E rather than /S/L/E unless you absolutely have to. I take it that you've already added all necessary SNB graphics kexts from a previous macOS version, right?

9 hours ago, Hervé said:

Replace the platform support plist by the patched version and revert to MBP8,1 SMBIOS?

Hi Herve, I'm not too sure on how to do this.   

Yes, I had added my 5 HD3000 kexts from High Sierra into /S/L/E.  ( I will remove and place into /L/E instead to see if that makes any difference.

It's strange, it was all working fine on 10.14.1 (except for speaker sound)  Headphones and HDMI sound was perfect.

Thanks Herve.

So I patched my system and I'm using a macbookpro8,1 smbios again.  Booting up again, still no internal speaker sound even though it shows up.  Headset and HDMI works fine.  Overall, about the same as with the MacBookAir Smbios but maybe a bit better on battery life.  Will keep trying to figure out how to get sound using the AppleALC.kext, Lilu and Whatevergreen.  I tried installing them into /L/E/  Rather than /EFI/Clover/Kexts   Same result.  But I have a separate thread for that.  

On 12/18/2018 at 12:45 PM, Hervé said:

You should always install your add-on kexts in /L/E rather than /S/L/E unless you absolutely have to. I take it that you've already added all necessary SNB graphics kexts from a previous macOS version, right?

I forgot to mention Herve, I had originally tried that but graphics only work if you place those files into /S/L/E