[SUCCESS] E6330 running Mojave 10.14.2, includes EFI and 10 step mini guide

Semaj

@Jake Lo thanks for the info, I'm using a tp-link usb Wi-Fi nano wifi card for now but I think I'm gonna order the DW1510 and get it installed.

For anyone interested in a USB Wi-Fi card that works in Mojave(I couldn't find a manufacturer that would guarantee it). I have the TP-Link TL-WN725N version 3. They cost about 10 bucks, and the driver from their website for 10.13.xxx gets it installed and working just fine. Just be sure to reboot after install.

One last issue I'm having(which I didn't know about right away because I didn't want to put any money into this laptop before I got it working well). The battery that was in the machine was completely dead, but I got a new one and now it is only showing that it has charged to 59%. I checked out the settings in the BIOS and all of the charging settings seem to be standard(A11 BIOS). Any ideas? I tried installing the ACPIPOWERMANAGER.kext into S/L/E and had no luck.

16 hours ago, jason.bowman9215 said:

I checked out the settings in the BIOS and all of the charging settings seem to be standard(A11 BIOS).

Why are you on such a low BIOS revision? 🤔 DELL just released revision A21 a few days ago. I think it would be a good idea to update your BIOS first. You can do this even with a bootable USB drive using FreeDOS.

I mainly use RUFUS to create that USB drive. Then put the BIOS executable on the drive, boot it up, run the BIOS executable and flash your BIOS. As @Hervé states below, this maybe not such an good idea.. My fault... :(

16 hours ago, jason.bowman9215 said:

I got a new one

Is that new one an original DELL battery, or is it a third party device? Sometimes the electronics of third party batteries doe not send accurate data.

@Jake Lo the information on battery percentage in the bios matches what is shown I the OS. This made me think that there could be an issue with my power supply. After looking it over, it seems that it is not an OEM dell power supply but an HP(the output specs match that of a 65W dell). Also, in the BIOS it says that since the system does not recognize the PSU, the system may not work properly. Some backstory on this machine, my friend is a maintenance guy at an apartment complex and it was left in someones apartment that had moved. He grabbed it as he does a lot of things and didn't know how to wipe the OS so he gave it to me. I'm wondering if that's what he battery that was in it was acting like it was dead. 

I'm going to go test an OEM dell power supply and see if that fixes the issue.

@eC//FrEaK From the reading that I had done before turning this into a hackintosh, it seemed that many people had issues if they had a newer bios than the A11 and that's what my machine had on it so I decided to just leave it. I did notice some people on here showing that they have a newer bios version so I could give that a try as well. As for the battery, it is an OEM dell battery but like I told Jake Lo above I think it's the PSU that is the issue. I'll report back after I find out what the issue is.

Thanks,

• Administrators

eC//FrEaK is mistaken on the BIOS matter. Leave it as it is.

If you update, you're highly likely to end up with garbled graphics, like other E6x30 models, unless/until you re-patch the raw DSDT of the latest BIOS version like I did for the E6230 (A19).

On 1/13/2019 at 12:59 PM, Hervé said:

With regards to Semaj's Clover setup, he's injecting some unnecessary kexts like:

• VoodooTSCSync
  • GenericUSBXHCI
  • AppleBacklightFixup

He's also using slightly outdated Lilu + WEG kexts that should be refreshed to latest versions. Then, his Clover config contains some irrelevant or inappropriate settings such as arch=x86_64, KernelPm patch or injection of Intel graphics + Capri layout-id (not necessary with Lilu + WEG), erroneous CPU PM settings, etc. It would benefit from being clean-up.

Eg: E6330_config.plist.zip

The Clover setup would also gain from being completed with kexts such as CodecCommander (for audio jack output) and FakePCIID/FakePCIID_XHCIMux to activate USB3/USB2 ports multiplexing.

Thanks for the feedback! 

I grabbed all the kexts from the official repo's. Thought they were the latest. I will remove those extra kexts, I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as possible so very appreciative of your input.

I don't know about the CPU PM stuff, I will have a look at my config and the one you posted. I haven't had any real issues with this setup though.

Will also look into those extra kexts you mentioned. I thought I had it all complete but I guess I missed some resources about the usb multiplexing and CodecCommander. The jack out works as is audio of HDMI. So not too sure what benefits they will have.

As for the bios, I updated mine to the latest and nothing changed. My graphics are only messed up on reboots and shutting down the system. I can totally live with that but will make a new DTSD from scratch like I tried before, this time applying the right usb 3 patches so all ports work, haha.