Dell Latitude 7490 Mojave APFS error

Jack Doe

Greetings to all members of this great forum. I'm kindly asking for you help and expertice into solving one problem of mine. I am completly unable to install Mojave on my brand new Dell Latitude 7490 laptop (full specs down below). The computer reboots itself everytime I try. I was able to catch the error using slo-mo on my phone since everything was happening so quickly. debug=0x100 doesn't help.

For unknown reason the install is unable to convert my drive into APFS. First time I tried to install on GUID partition, then formatted the whole drive (both with Disk Utility and later with terminal). After reboot I see new drive in Clover. I'm able to boot into it and I see that "Mojave can't be installed on this computer".

I was using Jake Lo's guide on Mojave install https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-vostro-xps-clover-guide/?do=findComment&comment=87342 , his bootpack and ioncatana's clover folder from this thread https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11259-dell-latitude-7490-mojave/.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8650U
SSD: M.2 Micron 2280 SATA
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
DISPLAY: FullHD

error.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Set to Default, apply, then set SATA Operations to AHCI, set Boot List Option to UEFI, disable secure boot

When formatting drive, select GUID / Journaled Extended. 

Installation will convert it to APFS

Other had try formatting to APFS, you could try that too.

Well the only difference I had was Legacy enabled. I followed your instructions anyway. Still facing same error. 

Previously I was reading forums about this error and one guy said that formatting to HFS or APFS with terminal would help. Not my case obviously.  :( It's not the "fixing permissions" error right? I can't figure out what's wrong. Seems like all drivers and kexts I would need are in place.

Could you please provide a terminal screenshot from the macOS Installer after you executed "diskutil list"? Just to make sure we provide you the right commands. ;) 

Anyways, you can try it on your own this way...

1. Boot macOS Installer

2. Start terminal

3. Erase your HDD/SSD from terminal with "diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ macOS /dev/>>YOUR-DISK-ID<<<"

4. Create a GPT partition on that disk from terminal with "diskutil partitionDisk /dev/>>>YOUR-DISK-ID<<< GPT JHFS+ macOS 0b"

5. close terminal

6. Start the macOS Installation and choos "macOS" as installation drive

NOTE: replace the whole ">>>YOUR-DISK-ID<<<" with a value that matches your to your system maybe "disk0" or "disk1" or whatever.