Booting D630 via USB

ssprod

Greetings, still attempting to get to "first base" with my D630 X3100. Been using Thund3rbolt's newly released USB Pen method and for the life of me, it kp's almost immediately. I'm beginning to suspect that my method of install is not correct. When I use my original Boot132 D620 CD, it appears to get to 90%, then my display goes black. I've taken two shots, just to see what I'm doing (if at all) incorrectly. Thanks very much! ssprod

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2455/thunder1e.png

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2749/10362975.png

So close but yet..

Tried iFail 10.6.3, installed with RC32bit and x3100 selected, upon completion-->restart system, everything looks and loads fine,"Dmos has arrived"---> blue screen for 1 second, then goes to black with welcome music, but no display.

So close but yet..

Tried iFail 10.6.3, installed with RC32bit and x3100 selected, upon completion-->restart system, everything looks and loads fine,"Dmos has arrived"---> blue screen for 1 second, then goes to black with welcome music, but no display.

Just got your messages and see you tried iFail rather than using original sl. Not something that anyone will be ever able to 100% support. I would rather we try to figure out why your pen install isn't working. Can you confirm if you have the sata operation set for AHCI or ATA in the bios? Please make sure you have it set for ata. I forgot to mention that mine was set for ata --- my bad but frankly probably didn't think it mattered.

If that still doesn't work. Please do a -v -x -s while booting and take a look at the kp message.

Just got your messages and see you tried iFail rather than using original sl. Not something that anyone will be ever able to 100% support. I would rather we try to figure out why your pen install isn't working. Can you confirm if you have the sata operation set for AHCI or ATA in the bios? Please make sure you have it set for ata. I forgot to mention that mine was set for ata --- my bad but frankly probably didn't think it mattered.

If that still doesn't work. Please do a -v -x -s while booting and take a look at the kp message.

Hi Thund3r, thanks for your efforts here, most appreciated! I certainly don't want to use any distro, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue, and i'm pulling at straws. I did set ata in the bios. Do my pictures look like I've created the pen correctly? Regards. ssprod

Hi Thund3r, thanks for your efforts here, most appreciated! I certainly don't want to use any distro, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue, and i'm pulling at straws. I did set ata in the bios. Do my pictures look like I've created the pen correctly? Regards. ssprod

UPDATE: 10 minutes later----> Thund3r, I'm in the process of installation as I write this. The ONLY change I made, on your positive suggestion, was " -x ". That did the trick, for the time being anyways. I'll report back upon completion of the install. Thanks again! ssprod

UPDATE: 10 minutes later----> Thund3r, I'm in the process of installation as I write this. The ONLY change I made, on your positive suggestion, was " -x ". That did the trick, for the time being anyways. I'll report back upon completion of the install. Thanks again! ssprod

After updating to 10.6.6, and copying Thund3r's Extra folder over, remove ioatafamily.kext (as requested), edp tool, reboot---> DVDRW is not recognized, no Audio presently. Bios is A017. Thanks. ssprod

After updating to 10.6.6, and copying Thund3r's Extra folder over, remove ioatafamily.kext (as requested), edp tool, reboot---> DVDRW is not recognized, no Audio presently. Bios is A017. Thanks. ssprod

run the edptool one more time .. make sure you only rebuild though okay, don't do a new install. That sounds strangly like you reran the install? Also make sure you run repair permissions before rebooting. So .. just to recap.. and I know this works cuz its working for me: copy my pack, remove ioatafamily, edptool, rebuild from present config ONLY, repair permissions, reboot. -- that should do it bro. If you reran the build you might have the wrong voodoohda right now.If that's the case start over again by copying my pack to /extra again.... yer almost there

:D