E5530 Network Slowness

dpw95

Currently running the latest Mojave build on my E5530.

It is hardwired to my router.

However, when running a Speedtest, I do not even get to 100MBps.  A Windows 10 laptop on the same network gets close to the 1Gbps of my Internet plan.  The same applies to even my wireless devices.

Speed was not an issue when I was running High Sierra before now.

Is this a known issue?

• Administrators

Ha, it's the famous Broadcom BCM5761 (14e4:1681)... No reason why you would not be able to re-use the same kext as in High Sierra. Look in the existing threads that cover Ethernet issues on that model.

For instance:

The kexts used to date work, in terms of the Ethernet port being detected and usable.  It just remains peculiar that the speed throughput is so minimal, as compared to other devices on the same network.

• Administrators

Well, it would seem that 100Mbps is the limit; then you ought to check your actual speed and duplex settings, opting for manual settings rather than auto-sensing if required. Half-duplex is a typical performance killer...

Yeah, I had kicked around the manual settings before now, to no benefit.

Worth noting that when I boot from a Linux Live disc, speeds within that environment are normal.  That, at least, clears any hardware considerations (cabling, router/modem, etc.)

I may just carve out some time to revert to a previous edition.

Consider this thread as closed.

I found the culprit:  Google Chrome

When I run the same test in Safari, the speeds are on par with every other device on my home network.

Not clear what Chrome's issue is, but I found a number of others who have reported the same issue.

So in review, this has *ZERO* to do with kext files or network adapter settings.