Recommended Mini NGFF/M.2

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on making a Hackintosh out of my Dell E7250. I went through the list of cards found here:

However, none of the listed OOB cards are mini NGFF/M.2, (well the DW1830 is, but it's $55 USD!).

I do have a full size WWAN slot that's empty that I could use, but once again, I need something that sells for a reasonable price.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks!

zog

• Administrators

You've always got the option of an NGFF/M.2 adapter + Apple's own Broadcom BCM94360xx/BCM94331xx. Adapters cost as little as $5 and an Apple card can be obtained for as little as $10. Look these up on well-known auction sites.

Those get my vote!

• Like 1

Hi Hervé, (? français? ),

(chuckle), I took your advice and ordered the NGFF/M.2 adapter and a genuine AirPort card. I have to assume that either you don't have a E7250 or your some genius modder, because that route didn't work out so well for me!

Bleeping thing sticks out WAY to far to close the back panel! 😆

AirPort_WiFi_Card.jpg

• Administrators

Arf! No, I don't own any E7250 and I guess you didn't check the adapter/card size before buying! But what's that other slot, next to the M.2 WLAN one? It seems larger.

If you have to look for another card and still exclude the DW1830, I very recently (yesterday) got my M.2 2230 DW1820A card fully working under High Sierra/Mojave. That will definitely fit into your slot and may be a more suitable alternative... It sells from $10€ to $20.

• Like 1

Hi @Jake Lo,

Thanks for the advice. As you said, the DW1560 is slightly less expensive than the DW1830. I started doing some research on the card and the other NGFF/M.2 on the list. After doing a little digging, I found the following:

DW1560 has a Broadcom BCM94352Z chipset and seems to be identical to the Lenovo 04X6020, which can be found for around $20.

DW1707 has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 chipset and seems to be identical to the Lenovo 04X6022, which go for around $6

DW1802 has a Qualcomm Atheros QCNFA222 chipset and seems to be identical to the Lenovo 00JT477, which go for around $5

DW1820A has a Broadcom BCM94350ZAE chipset and seems to be identical to the Lenovo 00JT494 , which go for around $10

Sadly, the DW1830 doesn't seem to have a Lenovo, (or any other manufacturers), equivalent. :(

I'm going to order the Lenovo 00JT494 and see if it works. I'll post up my results.

@Hervé, Yeah, how does it go? "Stupid is what Stupid does"! Your right, I should have thought about the height. I'm to used to my M4800. Plenty of space in there!

The second slot is for a WWAN card, but it's not keyed A+E and I would have the same space problem. As I said in my previous post, I'll get the Lenovo equivalent of the DW1820A. I'll follow your steps and post up my results.

OK, a couple of updates here. 1st is the Lenovo 00JT494/BCM4350. Although this card does work under OS X, based on my research, it doesn't work with the Latitude E7250/7450 laptops. I've tried everything that I can find, but the system slows down after about 5 min's and then becomes unusable. If your on something other than a Latitude E7x50, it should work for you, just follow Hervé's instruction on how to modify your Clover.

00JT494_1.jpg    00JT494_2.jpg

The next card that I tried was a card that was listed as a Broadcom BCM94356Z. This card has a PCI ID of 14e4:43ec.

This card is actually an AzureWave AW-CB210NF and it will not work under OS X. 

Fortunately for me, the seller is willing to accept a return, so I'm not losing any money on this one.

Broadcom BCM94356Z_1.jpg  Broadcom BCM94356Z_2.jpg