[Asus G73sw] How to get Realtek USB 2.0 cardreader working

FCU4ever

• Administrators

Is it the device shown in the IOReg output you posted here?

USB_CardReader.jpg

• Vendor id=0x0bda, i.e. Realtek USB
  • Device id=0x0139, i.e. RTS5139 Card Reader

Many people have tried to get this card reader working for many years without any success...

You could try to add an entry in FakeSMC's Info.plist to inject a new device profile into AppleUSBCardReader kext (PlugIn of AppleStorageDrivers kext) as described here. Copy/paste an existing profile from the PlugIn that you'll then modify in order to specify the above Ven id and Dev id converted from hex to decimal.

If, as I expect, the above mod. is unsuccessful, you may try and overwrite some of the fields of the USB descriptor shown in IOReg for your card reader, specifically the following ones:

• bDeviceClass
  • bDeviceSubClass
  • bDeviceProtocol

and set them to 0; yous are all set to 255 (0xff). See here for detailed information on USB descriptors.

This what my Vostro200 desktop shows for its USB-internal TEAC CA-200 card reader and I think that's what macOS uses to hook the device and load drivers:

TEAC_CA-200_CardReader.jpg

You would try to set those values through Clover's properties injection. Use Clover Configurator to that effect. You already know that the card reader is located @1a14,0.

Properties_injection.jpg

/!\ No guarantee any of this will  work at all of course...

21 hours ago, Hervé said:

Is it the device shown in the IOReg output you posted here?

Yes.

I first tried your second solution:

21 hours ago, Hervé said:

If, as I expect, the above mod. is unsuccessful, you may try and overwrite some of the fields of the USB descriptor shown in IOReg for your card reader, specifically the following ones:

• bDeviceClass
  • bDeviceSubClass
  • bDeviceProtocol

and set them to 0; yous are all set to 255 (0xff). See here for detailed information on USB descriptors.

This what my Vostro200 desktop shows for its USB-internal TEAC CA-200 card reader and I think that's what macOS uses to hook the device and load drivers:

TEAC_CA-200_CardReader.jpg

You would try to set those values through Clover's properties injection. Use Clover Configurator to that effect. You already know that the card reader is located @1a14,0.

Properties_injection.jpg

/!\ No guarantee any of this will  work at all of course...

I added PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a14,0x00)/Pci(0x1a14,0x00) to devices and set bDeviceClass, bDeviceSubClass, bDeviceProtocol to 0

When I look after reboot into iOreg, the values aren't changed. still 0xff. Does this mean it won't work?

config.plist.zip