Help installing mojave on Acer Predator helios 300 pleaseeee

toussaintjames

• Administrators

GTX 1060 is a Pascal GPU and is therefore unsupported under Mojave. This is why it'll need disabling (through SSDT patching) more than ever. Generally speaking, dGPUs need disabling in Hackintosh laptops because Optimus technology (dual graphics) is not supported by OS X/macOS.

Your Qualcomm wireless card is unsupported too and will require to be replaced by a compatible model. Alternatively, you'll have to use a compatible USB adapter. Check out non-exhaustive inventory available in R&D->Wirleess section to that affect.

With regards to your IOReg (which you extracted properly with the provided app), I can see that the nVidia dGPU remains enabled whilst the Intel HD630 iGPU is not active. This is where we need to concentrate.

6 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Hmm, just realized you're using @InsanelyDeepak's file from here and he stated all is working under Mojave. 

Just checked your IOReg file, not sure why you added VoodooHDA when AppleALC.kext should work.

Is there any option in the BIOS to set DVMT to 96MB?

Ok how to remove the voodoo thing? and and no it doesn't have that option I will send pics of my bios 

IMG_20190416_062814.jpg

IMG_20190416_062810.jpg

IMG_20190416_062822.jpg

IMG_20190416_062818.jpg

IMG_20190416_062801.jpg

IMG_20190416_062806.jpg

Ok np I understand what you mean, the thing about the wifi I understand , I'm using the internet cable for the while and any assistance in how to disable the 1060 graphics and enable the hd630 would be great. I really would like to get the graphics working 

hi everyone thanks for the help, I tried everything from scratch today n got it working, what I did was use the niresh Mojave distro and this time what I did was unselect all the intel hd graphics stuff in the installer...n it worked as soon as it went to the desktop...my only problem now is audio

I just ran across this -- I have a helios 300 predator as well. The hda methods that worked in high sierra did not seem to want to work to get sound for me but VoodooHDA did. No hdmi but speakers work great. From reading on the web, it looks like mojave may have removed some of the needed settings for the other methods. There are 3 choices in VoodooHDA -- legacy/uefi etc.. as methods to install. One method worked on an older machine, another worked on this one. I tried all 3 - I think I used the legacy method on the helios 300 from my testing. It didn't take much effort at all, just installing and rebooting a couple of times. I found it also worked for High Sierra since I didn't get rid of it but have it load from a usb external drive.

There are more than one method I have seen to install the nvidia drivers, tried a few and this one seemed to work for me: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

Interestingly enough, after a bit of experimentation I have been able to get the 1060 to load in mojave and support 4095mb (not 4096 or the 6gb on the card) by including the nvidia web drivers that worked in high sierra - but only got 4095 megabytes on high sierra as well. It worked by adding the settings in clover configurator at the bottom without injecting any graphics methods but one-- inject nvidia. The cuda drivers are not ported to mojave however but I did get them to install as well based on the notes here: https://www.travelertechie.com/2018/09/nvidia-web-drivers-mojave-workaround.html which sent me to this link to download the cuda installer: https://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-418.105-driver.html

The travelertechie also made a youtube video here: 

I am sure much that is needed is not supported, such as real acceleration, but it does install. Having a larger amount of video ram than the 1536 that I got from the intel 630 cannot be bad I am thinking. I wish it was better but it is what it is.

The 1060 card needs to be entered manually into clover configurator or it grabs an older version of the 1060 with only 256mb ram, so in the graphics tab, I entered '+' to enter an nvidia card in the bottom of the screen as follows -- the data fields I used are here, I am separating them by commas for ease of reading: 

Acer GeForce GTX 1060, 0x10DE1C20, 0x1025, 4095, 2 

If you try to inject anything else such as intel, it will not see it as a GTX1060 but as an unsupported card with 0mb ram.

If someone finds a good NVCAP string for the 6 gb 1060 (the mobile version, as it is not exactly the same as the pc variant) I am betting that may be better, and possibly supply full support for the 6gb. Not complaining about 4 gigs though.

I am using MacBookPro15,2 as the model in SMBIOS with Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts -- both built in to S/L/E as they don't work properly in clover pre-loaded from what I have read.

FYI- if you get a black screen, you need to disable nvidia to install it, before you have whatevergreen working. The installer you use most likely will not have nvidia capabilities so to get it up and running you may need to use the boot argument nv_disable=1 but you have to remove it later to let the drivers load after install is completed.

• Like 1