Trouble with Dell DW1820A (BCM4350)

bluesbendeer

Hello. I also have some problems with getting this card working. Recently I bought Dell e7450, and followed Jake Lo's guide to install Mojave, and everything went smooth and I had a functioning system. Previously I was using a dell dw1510 card for Lenovo T420, but since that card is not M.2 I bought a Dw 1820a and installed it. As Herve described in his guide, when I first installed the card it was impossible to use the machine due to lag. Later on I followed his guide to tweak Clover settings, and it started to work! But there is a small problem, after browsing the internet some time the same thing happens and I lose the internet connection and pc starts to lag to a point which only way to make it work is to reboot again. I am not sure why this problem occurs and I was wondering if there is any solution. Thanks in advance for the reply.

• Administrators

I've just given a hand to a new member who's installed Mojave on his Latitude 5490, fitted with a DW1820A. He could not get the card to work properly either, stating that the card would only work Ok a few minutes then cause severe lag or performance degradation. After a few minutes checking his machine, it was found that:

1. AirportBrcmFixup kext was injected by Clover -> removed
  2. Vanilla IO80211Family kext was in /S/L/E -> Ok
  3. Incorrect BrcmFirmware kexts were being injected through Clover -> corrected
  4. A kext called AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG was present in /S/L/E -> removed

Installation was said to be full vanilla with Chris1111's installation tool. Member confirmed he did not manually add the AirportBrcmNIC-MFG kexts to /S/L/E and that the partition was freshly formatted before installation, so it must have been done by Chris1111's tool. This AirportBrcmNIC-MFG kext was last seen in High Sierra and it was understood as a replacement for AirportBrcm4360...

Anyway, once the above defects were corrected (and all add-on kexts copied to /L/E, permissions repaired and cache rebuilt), the DW1820A started to work perfectly, as expected and as described in my setup guide, with no performance degradation on the Latitude 5490.

So guys, please double/triple check your installation setups before posting about your non-working DW1820A.

Thank you for the reply @Hervé. According to Ioregisteryexplorer I have the card defined correctly under the PCI bridge. Also, it seem to be the original Broadcom card. Also, I listened your advice and deleted AirportBrcmFixup, and listened to Jake Lo's advice from the other post and deleted FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi and FakePCIID kexts. Anyhow, I know that without the debug files there is no point in explaining, so here it is. Thank you in advance. 

debug_27872.zip

• Administrators

I can't see anything wrong or obvious in your debug pack. Clover config appears Ok to me, you're not injecting any kext that would not be required or using unnecessary boot options/flags.

The only thing I noticed is that you have some add-on kexts in /L/E (like the Broadcom firmware patching kexts) that appear to be ignored. Kexts injection looks active (FakeSMC in E/C/k/O, not in LE or SLE) from your Clover EFI folder.

IOReg output shows that no kext loaded for your DW1820A. As such, I am wondering if you have the full vanilla IO80211Family kext in SLE without any mods or any additional kext that would prevent AirPortBrcm4360 + AirPortBrcm4331 to load...

Please check that and then rebuild your cache through Terminal:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -i /

Thank you for the reply @Hervé. I am %100 sure that I have the vanilla IO80211 kext in SLE. Because I did nothing to patch that, and only followed the guide from Jake Lo to install Mojave to my Dell E7450.  As far as I  understand there is nothing in his guide that alters IO80211Family kext. So, I am not sure why this problem caused. Anyhow, I rebuilt the cache and still there is no wifi. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.