Wifi not working with DW 1820A

grui

Hello,

I am trying to make the WIFI to work with a E7470 and a DW 1820A.

I tried to follow a few tutorials and maybe I mixed too many kext... and now, I don't know what to do, I admit, I am lost !

I created a debug zip file, don't know if it can bring more information.

Thanks for any help !

debug_25356.zip

I reviewed your tutorial.

Regarding the following steps :

• identify the IOReg/ACPI device to which the DW1820A card is attached (use IORegistryExplorer app to that effect). Eg: RP0n@xx,yy->PXSX@0.
  • in the absence of individual ACPI device entry under the PCI bridge for the card, select "FixAirport" ACPI Fix in Clover. That'll create a device "ARPT" @0 under the bridge and that's what you'll inject properties to. This may also require to select "AddDTGP" ACPI Clover fix if your DSDT does not possess any DTGP method.

With IORegistryExplorer, I am unable to find the DW1820A pci-e card despite the fact that DPCIManager successfully retrieve it.

So, I tried the second solution, I activated FixAirport in Clover (not sure it is the right way) :

<key>DSDT</key>
        <dict>
            (...)
            <key>Fixes</key>
            <dict>
               (...)
                <key>FixAirport</key>
                <true/>

and reboot. But now how to retrieve the ID needed further in the tutorial ? In IOReg, I cannot locate any ARPT device.

Thanks !

• Administrators

You should use Cover Configurator app; the guide is quite clear on that matter...

Anyway,

1. remove the FixAirport Clover option (your initial IOReg text output shows the card under RP05@1c->PXSX@0)
  2. remove that old IO80211Family kext you were trying to inject
  3. remove AirportBrcmFixup

and post a new debug package with an IORegistryExplorer saved output (IOReg text output is no pleasant read).

If DPCIManager app sees the card in IOReg, IORegistryExplorer will too! You're either missing it or doing something wrong. I assume that Wireless + Bluetooth are enabled in BIOS.

Good news, better now. I followed your steps 1 to 3 and added the information asked by your tutorial with Clover configurator.

image.thumb.png.1ac9e9a7768e811d69f13ba6d0897b3b.png

The PCI card is correctly identified by System Information but it is indicating that the Driver is not installed, same for MSI.

image.png.fe78c4208374024da9c63141b936f3a3.png

In Wifi section, no WIFI Device detected :

image.png.5703fe953f221247f956ceed3cc2c4b9.png

Everything in BIOS regarding wireless is activated.

Attached, the updated debug file.

Thanks !

debug_4448.zip

• Administrators

A few comments...

a) IORegistryExplorer screenshot you attached shows info leading to believe you've not implemented the settings recommended in the guide:

• name + device-type show being set to "Airport"
  • model shows being set to "AppleWifi Card"

which is indicative of Clover "FixAirport" remaining enabled. You don't need this and I did ask you to remove this from your Clover config

• no kext loaded for your card

which is indicative of a highly likelihood that some non-vanilla kexts remain on your system.

b) But it's a red herring because on looking into your attached debug pack, I can see that:

• Clover config is now 100% Ok ✅
  • IOReg output shows all properties correctly injected but no kext loaded for the card ✅
  • Kextcache shows you kept an older and inappropriate IO80211Family kext in /S/L/E despite being specifically told to revert to the vanilla kext <_< ❌

🚩Revert to a full vanilla installation as requested before by re-instating the original IO80211Family kext in /S/L/E. Once you've done that, you card will work perfectly. 🏁

NB: Kextcache log also shows how much you messed up with kexts: you've installed some add-on kexts in /S/L/E, some in /L/E, some in both. That's the best recipe for disaster! Only install add-on kexts to /L/E. Remove all those you installed in /S/L/E, repair permissions and rebuild you cache.

Spoiler

Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43224" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "IO80211Family.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AppleALC.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.AppleALC" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
KernelCache ID: 50954F0B1B576C253FBA0F3573613A07
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AppleALC.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.AppleALC" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "IO80211Family.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "IO80211NetBooter.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.IO80211NetBooter" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AirPortBrcm4331.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AirPortAtheros9388.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros9388" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AirPortAtheros21.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43224" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AirPortAtheros.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured [...] { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }

Lilu -> LE + SLE

AppleALC -> SLE

ACPIBatteryManager -> LE + SLE

BrcmPatchRAM2 -> LE + SLE

BrcmFirmwareRepo -> LE + SLE

And that's on top of injecting those same kexts through Clover (where you've also added unnecessary or competing kexts: AtherosE2200Ethernet / IntelMausiEthernet / RealtekRTL8111, ACPIBatteryManager / SMCBatteryManager, etc.). You really ought to use the correct add-on kexts and decide what you want to do with them: cache them (from /L/E) -which is recommended- or inject them (from E/C/k/O). Just don't duplicate or triplicate stuff...

There is a strange thing related to the restore attempt of the initial IO80211Family kext. I think I never got the initial one for Mojave. I double checked on the installer (usb key). Inside the installer, in the system/library/extensions there is no mention of the IO80211Family kext and IO80211FamilyV2 kext. So I think I imported them into S/L/E... because they were missing

Is it possible to provide me the vanilla version of these 2 kexts for Mojave 10.14.4 ?

Thanks and sorry for this strange request

• Administrators

There you are:

Archive.zip

Rest assured those kexts are part of the vanilla installation, no doubts to be had on that front. For future reference, with Pacifist app you can extract kexts from any given combo update (like 10.14.4) available off Apple's web site. Simply Google for it.

• Like 1

Thanks Hervé.

Finally the WIFI is working but there is a counterpart : after a while with the WIFI working, the system is starting to lag a bit then a lot then it become unresponsive.

I am monitoring the free RAM and free CPU right now with the hope to reproduce the issue (reproduced three times). Don't know yet if it is linked to a standby leave or not.

I will add the debug zip soon.

UPDATE 1

Impossible to generate new debug file. The install tool is requesting a new dump of ACPI files and preboot logs. But once having pressed F2 and F4 in clover and started the macos boot sequence, I have a kernel panic.

UPDATE 2

Despite the kernel panic, the tool successfully execute itself. Attached the new debug file ( the kernel panic occured only after the F2 and F4 button press, not during a normal boot)

UPDATE 3

I observed some issues when going to standby. Sometimes, when I wake up the computer, it is executing a cold boot instead of a standby wake up.

UPDATE 4

I had to disable the WIFI through the BIOS : impossible to boot anymore with WIFI activated, I got a kernel panic everytime. The disabling of the WIFI solve this issue. 

debug_6780.zip