E7470 + Dock

grui

Hello,

My laptop is plugged into a dock (old way dock, no USB-C like) :

• the LAN is working :-)
  • the screen replication is partially working. On the Dock I have a DVI port and a VGA port. When the laptop is plugged to the DOCK, the system is recognizing only one type of external monitor and is displaying in consequence the same image on the both VGA and DVI screens. How can I "say" to MacOs that there are 2 externals monitors, 1 DVI & 1 VGA ?
  • the USB ports from the dock are not recognized, when I plug a phone , it is even not charging it.

Do you know how I can go further with these issues ?

And another question regarding the kexts. I removed the duplicated kext between /L/E and /S/L/E but not between /L/E and /E/C/k. I did not find a tutorial that explaning well what kext are needed for clover and what kext are needed for /L/E, any explanation is welcomed :-)

Thanks

debug_13851.zip

• Administrators

It's been mentioned in various places on the forum and I should probably write an FAQ thread on the topic.

• /S/L/E is the location for Apple's own (i.e. vanilla) kexts. Ideally, this should be left untouched by Hackintoshers unless for very specific and rare reasons (eg: patched AppleHDA).
  • /L/E is the location for 3rd party/add-on kexts. This is where all kexts we use for our Hackintoshes should go.

Kexts placed in either of these folders will be cached and this aims at accelerating boot time. Cached kexts are subject to signature and be set to the correct permissions. Cached kexts will be listed/registered in SysProfiler/SysInfo->Software->Extensions. Caching kexts is the recommended manner to use add-on kexts.

Clover's E/C/k/O and E/C/k/10.xx are the locations for kexts that Clover injects at boot time:

• E/C/k/O is used to inject kexts regardless of the OS X/macOS version.
  • E/C/k/10.xx are used to inject kexts for the given OS X/macOS version and therefore allow different kexts to be injected for different versions.

Injected kexts are not cached and will not be listed/registered in SysProfiler/SysInfo->Software->Extensions. Injecting kexts results in a slower boot time than with cached kexts (though many would arguably say it's hardly noticeable). Kexts injection operates according to Clover settings on the matter:

• If kext injection is set to Yes, kexts placed in E/C/K/O (or E/C/k/10.xx) will be injected.
  • If kext injection is set to No, no injection takes place obviously...
  • If kext injection is set to Detect, kext injection operates according to the presence of FakeSMC in the cache (from /L/E or /S/L/E). If present, no injection takes place, if absent, kext injection is performed.

Kext injection is very useful for recovery purposes (like booting without cache which ignores /L/E) or when testing kexts for instance; if a newly injected kexts causes issues (like a KP), it's very easy to remove/bypass it. On the other hand, kext injection is known to occasionally cause problem because it's not the natural way in which kexts should be loaded. Kext injection is basically a form of forced loading and, sometimes (though rare these days), it does not work.

My own recommendation is to experiment with kexts through injection and, once kexts are validated, to cache them from /L/E.

You can Google for this kext injection matter or consult the Clover wiki/InsanelyMac forum. It's all quite widely documented.

• Moderators

Looks like you're using my files so the USBPorts-E7470.kext will not have the extra USB ports from the Edock, you'll have to generate a new one following the steps found in the hackintool.app

For the VGA / DVI port, I'm not 100% sure, you can look at Hervé's guide for Haswell for clues.

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/8723-enabling-dvidphdmi-and-increasing-vram-with-intel-haswell4th-gen-hd420044004600etc-igpu/

• Administrators

VGA is not supported under macOS, so it's highly unlikely you can get it to work as an individual display. It will either work OOB or not at all but there's nothing you can do to make it work if it does not do so properly.

I don't know which Dock model you're referring to but it may well be that, like the Type-C current models, VGA only works as a clone to DP/DVI/HDMI in multiple screen arrangement.

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11410-dell-latitude-7490-with-i7-8650u-intel-uhd-620-and-1920x1080-lcd-mojave/?do=findComment&comment=90288

Hello,

I replaced the USBPorts-E7470.kext by the USBInjectAll.kext and it is working now well, thanks :-)

The dock is like this one (picture retrieved from internet)

image.thumb.png.e88de296c303f05184d941a133b07825.png

Thanks

• Administrators

So it's the port replicator E-Port K07A001 (USB2.0 ports) or E-Port II K07A002 (USB3.0 ports), check the product label underneath. Anyway, with those docks, VGA output is a matter for graphics framebuffer/drivers only. There's nothing you can do about it since VGA has no official support on platforms starting at Ivy Bridge. There's no patch you could apply unlike DVI/DP/HDMI.

In all likelyhood, for dual display with a VGA screen, you'd need a DVI-to-VGA adapter + DP or DP-to-VGA adapter + DVI.