DW1820a - the general troubleshooting thread

muttonhead411

• Administrators

Not much guidance needed, come on! Inject or cache AirportBrcmFixup kext and add those 2 x boot options visible in DalianSky's Clover config. That's the only things that differ, the properties injection detailed in my guide are otherwise strictly identical.

I'm now testing this with my CN-096JNT model which caused issue usual overload/freeze issues when initially tested in my 7490.

• Administrators

Well, it's been over 20mins and the CN-096JNT has not killed the laptop. That's a huge difference!

However, it's not entirely kosher because, in that period of time, I experienced 2 x wireless disconnections accompanied brief and partial system freezes until the wireless reconnected automatically. During the short freeze, my external USB mouse was unresponsive but my TouchPad was still active.

Will have to look in the longer term and, possibly, just remove the brcmfx-country=#a option I went with. To be continued...

• Administrators

Behaviour is identical with or without the brcmfx-country boot option and whether declaring compatibility with Broadcom card 14e4:4353 or 14e4:4331. I've been using the CN-096JNT card for well over 1hr now and, apart from those odd brief disconnections, all is Ok.

@Hervé I have good news to report. I'm seeing similar results that you're experiencing. Wifi no longer kills the laptop, and has been running pretty consistently for the past hour. 

I did see the same symptoms as you did - brief disconnect and random freeze occasionally, but it smoothens out pretty quickly soon after

Definitely needs a little more testing and observation, but promising results at the least. 

The top wifi speeds are a little lower than expected though (30Mbps capped, my home network is capable of much faster speeds...), wondering if this is normal

• Administrators

Glad that you're experiencing the same as I did; it's consistent.

Regarding speed, I guess it'll depend on whether your wireless network is setup for DFS, 5GHz, etc. I'm getting connections to my 5GHz network at 867Mbps consistently with the various cards I've tested, then my Internet speed tests cap at 300Mbps which is the limit of my fibre subscription. Therefore, all is well on that front.

NB: Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you have other issues, please open up a separate thread.

@wtv1234 in case you did anything differently, i did 2 specific steps only (via injection):

1) place AirportBrcmFixup to Clover/Kext/Others

2) add boot option brcmfx-driver=1 via clover configurator

3) Reboot 

If i did anything beyond this, the system would not boot... Hope this helps.