DW1820a - the general troubleshooting thread

muttonhead411

• Administrators

The guide clearly illustrates the card's properties injection. Obviously, injecting the card's own id is useless and totally voids the desired effect which is to bypass AirPortBrcmNIC kext to load AirPortBrcm4360 instead. Can't say if your other diversions from my guide are the cause of your issue.

There are many posts in the previous 14pages of this thread relating to other id reference re: compatibility and/or pin masking. Please refer to those.

So many people have reported issues with those DW1820A cards by now, I feel sorry I ever recommended the model and tried to work things out.

• Like 1

Thank you very much @DalianSky 

It works 😂 

Thanks to @Hervé as well for your amazing guide as usual ;

Good News 😍😍

I have masked the 3 pins in the card it was big challenge to mask such a very tiny pins but I did it and now everything works nicely, no more hangs , freeze  or CPU huge usage without reason 

Yes , It works and I am using it for more than an hour now  and I notice nothing wrong at all .

Thanks to @Naidis and his amazing post with photos here 

Problem Solved 

Page 3  post #6

@Hervé Would be great, if You could update Your HowTo-Site with the results collected in this thread.

So, not everyone has to read 15 Pages to get the problem solved ;-)

P.S.: Masking only the 3 PINs at the one Side worked for me (DW1820a, Sub-ID 0021, 0VW3T3) too.

(With 5 PINs masked card could not get activated at macOS 10.14.6 Mojave)

Thanks,  @Franckenstien, for Your tries and hints!

For wifi I accidentally able to get full speed (80MHz ~ 867Mbps) when booting via the clover from https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/commit/c7149ab350682310bf2c091bc0a082cc8f9b66b8.(I was using this repo until my DW1520 break). I'm able to boot by just having brcmfx-driver=1 and added pci14e4,4353 device properties.  After boot up I saw that wifi interface was using AirPortBrcmNIC.kext instead of AirPortBrcm4360.kext and I'm able to get full wifi speed, but the system was getting freeze and hang very often especially when it's consuming high bandwidth 700-800Mbps for long periods. Do you guys have any suggestion? b/w I'm back to 40MHz for now because it's very stable and 300Mbps is not bad at all.

• Administrators

I believe I had explained in may guide that combining compatibility with 14e4:4353 injection + boot parameter brcmfx-driver=1 caused issues to me. Try without the boot parameter.

What's interesting though -and that's probably key- is that your system runs Ok if you restrict the card to 40MHz. But is that on the 5GHz or, presumably, the 2.4GHz network band?