DW1820a - the general troubleshooting thread

muttonhead411

I'm using my laptop for almost a month without any problem, always connected at 5ghz, yesterday I needed to connect to a 2.4ghz network and saw that the wifi channel is locked at 20mhz, even if I change the configuration on the router to 40mhz the laptop continues connected at 20mhz.
I use yosemite's IO80211family.kext
I don't use AirportBrcmFixUp.kext ...
would have any way to enable the 40mhz channel at 2.4ghz?

• Administrators

40MHz is not necessarily a great option. In addition, some channels are non-overlapping in certain countries so you need to check that out before anything else.

This being said, I tried it with my own DW1820A on an access point specifically set for 40MHz operation and I could never connect at 40MHZ, no matter the channel I selected on the AP.

Hi, I installed a DW1820A (model 0VW3T3) on Asus ROG Strix Z390-I.
Wi-Fi was working OOB, BT didn't.

I managed to configure it by using BrcmPatchRAM but only Handoff/Continuity work. It detects AirPods, Trackpad etc. but it fails to connect.
I'm currently on macOS Catalina 10.15.1 and I'm using BrcmBluetoothInjector+BrcmFirmwareData+BrcmPatchRAM3 kexts injected via Clover.

603199012_Schermata2019-11-11alle19_01_01.png.17bf7fdf032b4cce69cb1e9ffb8a524b.png

2107684117_Schermata2019-11-11alle19_08_14.thumb.png.c4b47bfd85ac879191750e3e992c434a.png 

This is what happens during boot:

722053976_Schermata2019-11-11alle19_42_09.png.39c9eaef7cb0ace59bf9cd80e32eb9d3.png

If I boot Windows and then reboot in macOS, firmware became 5799 and BT works.

Can someone give me a hint? Thank you!

Hey @Hervé, I just looked at the update in the BCM4350 thread and it made my morning!

However, now I'm interested in finding out if these cards can be made to work without disabling ASPM. If you've got time and still have the 0VW3T3 model, I was wondering if you could you let me know what the default value of pci-aspm-default with that card. Thanks :)

• Administrators

By now, you should have grasped that most people experienced issue with those cards when ASPM was not zeroed (disabled). As a rare exception to this rule and as clearly stated in my guide, the 2 x #0VW3T3 I tried in my Latitude 7490 worked perfectly without any adjustment to ASPM. But other BCM4350 models did not and many other people experienced issues with #0VW3T3 without ASPM adjustment.

I've no default value to give you, I believe it's dynamically established through communication between the fitted card and the PCIe controller. I've posted what I found to be set by default in my 7490 laptop but I've no way to say if it'd be same in other computers. You'll find it in IOReg as described in my guide.

Given the scale of the stability issues encountered by so many people, the advice is, of course, to disable ASPM across the board without further ado.

I'm well aware that the vast majority of people who have tried this card experience issues with it because of ASPM (I'm one of them).

But prior, we had no ideas as to why these issues occurred. So I'm just trying to look into it a bit further, so that maybe, we can gain some more knowledge on it.

If I discover anything new I'll make sure to let you guys know. Anyways, I'm grateful for the fix. Thanks.