D630 install stalled/error

Guest ChAntoine

ChAntoine --- I will swap the lid of my 630 today to a 1280x800 one, do a new install of 10.6.3 and see if I can get the 10.6.8 combo update and EDP 1.9.2 to work with it.....

.... If it works, I will swap the lid back to the 1440x900, change the DSDT to Simenoff's one and see if it still works.

..... I'll report back later so long as there's not too much work in at work !

Regards,

Tim.

.... So much for testing ..... I had the WORST day ever !

I dropped the battery for my 620 this morning and it cracked at the thin corner where it locks into the laptop - It now fails to lock properly as a small part of it is missing.

I walked outside to the car to goto work and the front tyre was as flat as a pancake, so flat in fact it would not inflate - I had to change for the spare wheel.

I (Finally) got to work and turned on one of my 3 test PC's and it failed to start - The motherboard developed a fault and it would not post. We re-flowed the on-board graphics chip and it started once every 3 times but is not reliable so had to be binned,

As I was late for work, I could not park anywhere except in a 2 hour limited zone - I returned to move my car within an hour and a half to find my car had been towed away to the pound !

It cost me £7.00 to catch a cab from work to the pound and £140 to get my car released !!!!

Not sure if it could in fact get any worse but I am not attempting anything at all on my D630 tonight apart from posting this !

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ChAntoine

Tim, that's very nice of you to perform these swap, but unfortunately I think they won't help this case. I'm almost sure I'm done with graphics so far.

Regarding your proposal for the WiFi recipe, I'll be glad once I've a D630 working... which I may be far enough for the next days (weeks?)

My install still fall into error after 5 minutes (15-16 minutes left over 21). If I go to /Volumes/<my hdd name>/private/var/log/install.log, it still has an error extracting a package (BSD.pkg this time). Since this package looks correct (I launched it on my mbp), I have 2 things in mind: either my USB stick is flaky (also it's brand new) either my d630 hw (or bios) is not able to handle the writing (high speed pb? even if I tweaked a little the bios settings & I use the bios found on this site)

Furthermore, I rebuilt tonite my usb with a Lion I downloaded from the Store (to be sure it's 10.7.3 and hence does not suffer from what Bronxteck identified earlier)

So I'm still nowhere...

I'm going no-where with it either :-(

For the second time I tried a different method to upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 and it worked again but after about 3 mins of booting into 10.6.8 the D630 just locks up again and I have to Hard-Power it off by holding power button down for 5 seconds. That was using EDP 1.9.2 as a kext pack with Simenoff's DSDT. At 10.6.3 and EDP's package the D630 is as stable as anything and not even one KP.

I hear what you are saying about speed issues mind - I have now got 10.6.3 onto a second hard-drive that plugs into the module bay where the CD/DVD rom would normally be so its a bit faster to re-install when it all goes wrong. (Like yourself I also had an idea about the speed of USB so have now switched to the module bay hard drive solution) - I accept that many people won't have access to one of these though.

The furthest I ever got installing Lion was about 40% installed before the D630 locked up (That was in 64 bit mode with a 64 bit PS2 driver I found on the net somewhere) and no other drivers apart from FakeSMC in E/E.

I'll keep at it - There has to be a solution because if people can get this D630 to work with 1280x800 then surely it can't be that difficult to make it work with 1440x900.

I'm still convinced the solution lie's with a better, more patched DSDT but I have no knowledge of DSDT so it's difficult for me to make any changes there.

Anyhow - I'll try and find some more time today and keep on trying.

Regards,

Tim.

Guest ChAntoine

I'm still convinced the solution lie's with a better, more patched DSDT but I have no knowledge of DSDT so it's difficult for me to make any changes there.

Anyhow - I'll try and find some more time today and keep on trying.

Regards,

Tim.

Yeah, you really have an interesting idea.

I can't remember whether I tried the "original" DSDT (the one coming with myHack, which is 1280x800) and booting with "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" (either at boot prompt, either in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist). I'll give it a try tonight.

I agree DSDT editing looks intimidating (to say the least). I just watched a video from lifehacker(a very interesting site btw) where you see how daunting DSDT editing can be... Anyway, it is worth a trial, at least to compare the "original" DSDT and the one from Simonoff... and perhaps just patch the orginal one for the graphic (if readable enough... with a DSDT Editor)

Tim: btw, so sorry for your very bad day.

Hiya Chantoine,

Today I went back to basics to try and eliminate any "Silly" mistakes.....

I made a new 10.6.3 USB install using my trusty D620.

I re-installed 10.6.3 to my D630 from USB and then installed EDP 1.9.2 but used Simenoff's DSDT and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.

After doing this (And NOTHING ELSE, no updates etc, nothing) my D630 was broken - It didn't resume from sleep, the USB's were playing up etc).

..... looking thru the log files for EDP updates in the WIKI section, I can see that Simenoff had some input into how EDP was made for the D630 with X3100 and the changes that are documented seem to be only for the standard 1280x800 display.

I'm just wondering if he managed to extend this work to cover the 1440x900 display as well, or if it was only patched to allow for the basic resolution.

About the same time, I can see that Slice seemed to be involved as well and the only time I managed to get Lion to work on my D630 was by using the DSDT that Slice posted for the 1525 - At least it booted into Lion with it (The Audio was wrong as the 1525 has HDMI out) and it was a bit "Jerky" but I expected problems as they are not entirely Identical machines.

As for the "Bad Day" - I appeal against the penalty fine - and await to hear the result from the city council.

Guest ChAntoine

SUCCESS, at last!

In fact, what I was suspecting was right : my stick is not working well enough with my D630. It can boot it, it can start installing Lion but apparently it doesn't bear the load and "crashes" along the road when loading some packages, some minutes after the Lion install started (this was confirmed by looking at the logs through the Terminal).

Then I tried another 8GB key, and guess what? I managed to proceed to the Lion install, fully!

Being frank, I should tell now I'm stuck with a bad configuration I did with EDP (and I'm facing a KP). But I'm pretty confident I can circumvent this tonight; gonna be a piece of cake (I cross my fingers!)

I'll come back here to detail what I did, but as a short path:

• I followed the OSXLatitute for creating the pen drive (myHack 2.2, allowed for myHack generic Extra, then removed this /Extra from the pen, then put the Extra coming from OSXLatitude for my D630 [cf bootpack]; replaced the DSDT.aml (in /Extra) to inject the one from here that support my resolution 1440x900, patched the /Extra/chameleon.Boot.plist (not sure of the exact name, but should be pretty straightforward when you browse through /Extra) to adapt to my resolution 1440x900x32 (rather than the 1024x800x32)
  • I configured my BIOS accordingly (A17 version from this Wiki, disabled WiFi, SATA in AHCI),
  • I booted from the stick (in -v mode to avoid the annoyance of being in the dark for a long period!)
  • I went thoroughly went through the Lion installer (this step alone stuck me for nights before I understood there were an I/O pb between my first USB stick and my HDD...)
  • rebooted (still from the stick because the HDD has not yet any bootloader if you follow well!) and selected the HDD Lion partition to load the OS from.
  • proceeded to EDP install and config. was too greedy and tried to maximize every options, got a KP and ... went peacefully to bed!!! I now know I can make it!

Guest ChAntoine

SUCCESS, at last! ....

But I'm pretty confident I can circumvent this tonight; gonna be a piece of cake (I cross my fingers!)

Not so easy in fact.

It seems that:

- I cannot manage to find the right settings in EDP to avoid a KP

- I cannot reach a stable status where the D630 is bootable

I installed Lion many times yesterday night: it went perfectly well till I started playing around with EDP. I tried different config (the one from Mariusz and others). Each time I get a KP (with various kext incompatibilities: IO (!?), PS/2, PowerManagement (not all readable because of the notice from Apple stating I have to reboot making the text of the KP below ineligible...

I event tried not to go through the first option in EDP and go directly to setup chameleon from the 3 (?) option. Got a KP as well.

Also tried not installing anything from EDP: no KP from within Lion but unable to boot from the HDD (neither directly, neither with the chameleon on the stick and choosing my hdd within the USB chameleon)

So my questions are:

- any hint/track to follow from now on?

- once I've a KP from Lion and not able to boot, are they tricks to avoid a complete install process? I tried booting options: -v, -x, -f... (together with booting from the Hdd or from the pen drive...)

btw, I cannot manage to have the LAN installed (event if enabled it from the bios; not talking about the WiFi, but rather the Ethernet...)

• Administrators

Hi...

To try to boot into lion on hard disk, you can boot into installer usb and remove / rename the Extra on hard disk from Terminal. Its seems your dsdt, org.chameleon.Boot.plist or kexts in E/E may be causing kernel panics.

May I suggest you solve one problem at a time that is causing the KP rather then going it randomly or by trial & error... hehe.. :P

Cheers!

Guest ChAntoine

boot -x -v UseKernelCache=No

Thanks but boot did not complete. Got a KP with backtrace: ApplePolicyControl depends on AppleGraphicsControl, IOACPIFamily, IOPCIFamily, IONDRVSupport, IOGraphicsFamily...

Gonna try to remove Extra...