E7270 - Black Screen When HDMI Connection To LCD For Mirroring

aufannada

My E7270 laptop is installed with High Sierra and all ports and facilities function properly and normally, including sleep. But there is one problem that is very annoying when I use my laptop for presentations, when I have to connect to the LCD using HDMI, then after HDMI is connected to the LCD, the monitor screen on the laptop turns black as if sleeping (but I don't think it's sleep because if I try to sleep normally then the screen can immediately turn on without problems). I try to unplug the HDMI connector but the result is the monitor screen is still black. The only way is to force the laptop to turn off and then turn it back on without connecting using HDMI.

Please help me to solve this problem so that my laptop can connect to the LCD using HDMI (mirroring) normally. Thanks.

E7270_High_Sierra_4972_SSD.zip

• Moderators

NOTE: Workaround is only needed on clean boot, no issue if system has gone through a sleep/wake cycle

If you read the note, just place system to sleep once after boot and you won't have an issue until the next reboot.

If there's a fix, let me know. I have not pursue it further since it's not a big deal for me.

• Thanks 1

You are right Jake. I tried to do what you said. And indeed after I slept my laptop once, there was no problem connecting HDMI to LCD. Everything works normally.

But I will still find a way so that this problem can be resolved properly and can work normally later.

• Moderators

@aufannada

I thought I tried my own suggestion and got it to work. 

It take 4-5 seconds to connect to HDMI, but at least now the internal screen stayed on.

Give this a tried if you like, goes into clover kext folder

For E7470 with 1920x1080 resolution. Might not work for system with lower resolution.

Display-9e5-653.kext.zip

Thanks for your suggestion Jake. I have downloaded the kext file above. But after I placed the file in the kext folder in clover and I restarted my laptop, the happened was the screen went blank after the apple logo appeared. And after that it can't enter the Mac desktop forever.

The solution to restore this state is that I have to go into windows and delete the kext file via command mountvol EFI.

Maybe you have another way? I will wait.

Video Dell Latitude E7270 Blank Screen.mp4.zip

On 7/19/2019 at 3:34 AM, Septendre said:

I had the same problem with my 7270 with the hdmi out blanking the lcd. My workaround is with a mini display port to hdmi adapter. Somehow, the display port output works fine

For the time, I used this method to resolve the problem 👍