• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@elim

To overcome problem of osx not installing on mbr

Install it on usb pen or hdd which has guid parttion

Then restore it on your mbr hdd with carbon copy and just ignore messg from

carbon copy saying that partition in not guid

This is what I have done many times

Thanks a lot robi62! Is it possible to restore the carbon copy to 3rd partition instead of the 1st one?

A zif HDD enclosure is on the way. When arrive, I'll try ccc.

OK. Here is my notes for dual booting OSX and XP on D430 U7700

What I had

(1) An AcronisImg backup of my D430 XP installation.

(2) A carbon copy clone of my D430 snow leopard installation with chameleon bootloader installed

(3) A 1.8 zif HDD usb enclosure

(4) an iMac

Steps to get the dual booting system to work

(1) Use Disk Utility to partition the target HDD (120GB, 1.8" zif),using MBR partition map scheme, into several partitions where windows partition(s) use NTfs format, and Mac partition(s) use Mac OS Extended(Journaled) format

(2) Put the target HDD into the enclosure, connect it to iMac, connect the D430 snow leopard installation clone to the iMac and use iMac's carbon copy cloner to copy mac partitions from the cloned one back to target HDD mac partitions, IGNORE the warning about the mismatch of Guid and MBR partition mapping.

(3) Retrieve the D430 XP installation from AcronisImage backup to the target HDD

(4) Boot the D430 with the target HDD into XP, use cmd launch diskpart, set the mac system partition to active

Now reboot, see the chameleon bootloader, hit return to see the boot menu if you don't want to auto boot into osx.

=========

Comments

All the trick for OSX - XP dual booting is that we have to use MBR partition map schema (for XP) and thus OSX can only be retrieved instead of a fresh installing.

Step (3) can be just a fresh installing of XP or some other kind of windows restore such as Ghost, etc.

there is no reason why this cannot work for osx-win2k dual booting etc. [but almost no reason why win2k now...:) I have a appserver WebObjects4.5.1 using ObjC running well on win2k though, running well on xp too but not as well if need gdb]

It is better to put user data (accounts,profiles, database data store, project, code repository and other custom works) into a separate partition than the system(OS and baseline programs/apps) partition.

Carbon Copy Cloner can be found here: http://www.bombich.com/

AcronisImage is a convenient os/system file backup/restore utility that creates browsable system backups, but it is very slow with D430 for some reason (related to having mac partitions?!), It won't allow smaller os target partition than the original one in the backup file. So pay attention when partitioning the HDD.

chameleon boot menu filtered the non-system mac partition but cannot filter the non-system windows partition. Maybe there is a way to config it but i don't know

• Administrators

Here's my dual boot method out of an existing WinXP D430 (U7600, 60Go HDD, 2Go RAM) that already had 2 partitions: 30Go main partition (C: drive - system) and 30Go extended partition (D: drive).

1) Emptied D: disk

2) Right clicked on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk management

3) Deleted D: logical drive + extended partition

4) created new main partition and formated NTFS (new separate D: drive)

Proceeded with Nawcom ModUSB + Retail SL 10.6.3 USB-key installation, reformating newly created partition as OS X (journalised) partition.

After completion and Chameleon installation, both OS X & WinXP partitions were visible on pressing [ENTER] at bootloader. Both systems were bootable.

Easy!

Here's my dual boot method out of an existing WinXP D430 (U7600, 69Go HDD, 2Go RAM) that already had 2 partitions: 30Go main partition (C: drive - system) and 30Go extended partition (D: drive).

1) Emptied D: disk

2) Right clicked on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk management

3) Deleted D: logical drive + extended partition

4) created new main partition and formated NTFS (new separate D: drive)

Proceeded with Nawcom ModUSB + Retail SL 10.6.3 USB-key installation, reformating newly created partition as OS X (journalised) partition.

After completion and Chameleon installation, both OS X & WinXP partitions were visible on pressing [ENTER] at bootloader. Both systems were bootable.

Easy!

What is Nawcom ModUSB for? Make MBR HDD acceptable for SL installer?

Thanks

My experience as follow:

1. Backup your XP partition to somewhere and use a partition manager to free space for OSX

(I prefer to use Acronis as it allows very flexible partition backup and restore. The Acronis Disk Manager allows me to resize partition very easy and safe)

2. If you use a retail Snow Leopard installation, you will need to install into a GUID partition hard disk. If you use myHack method to install Lion, you can install to MBR partition. Depending on your choice.

For me, Latitude notebook is flexible in booting. I used to install in a USB drive. This will bypass the need and concern of GUID partition

3. Once your Snow Leopard or Lion installed completed and boot up via USB, you can update and add your flavorable software.

4. I use SuperDuper! to back up my OSX partition. In this case, since my boot partition is a USB drive, open disk utility to format the free partition in your D430 harddisk. Then use SuperDuper to clone your USB partition to the D430 Mac formatted partition.

5. Tricky part here

A. Want to use Chamelion as boot manager

install Chamelion into the OSX partition of your D430 hardisk

you can use champlist or chamelion wizard to hide some unnecessary partitions, boot order, boot up parameter

B. Always to boot from XP

download tboot file from somewhere; make change to the hidden file boot.ini in your XP root directory

Like this

[boot Loader]

timeout=5

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\tboot="OS/X"

6. Upon reboot, you can have your choice to select

• Administrators

Hi ckleea,

Nice guide. We may move it the site for other members to benefit.

By the way, have you tried this with Windows 7? It is possible to use Windows 7 bootloader instead of Chameleon?

Cheers!

Hi ckleea,

Nice guide. We may move it the site for other members to benefit.

By the way, have you tried this with Windows 7? It is possible to use Windows 7 bootloader instead of Chameleon?

Cheers!

My work with Windows 7 is limited. Recently I tried the BCDedit method but is of no good. On the other hand, I use chameolion instead. It works very well. Champlist helps me to make the default boot partition. In my case, It uses to boot up Windows 7. However, I have not yet figured out how to allow booting OSX partition from bootloader of windows 7. BCDedit should be ok but I have not yet had a good experience with it.

The reason for using MBR partition is to allow me to have every flexibility to backup, clone, and restore partitions using windows tools. As all know, there are much more tools to handle this e.g. Acronis is great as it can be booted from a USB stick