[SOLVED] ASUS R556L - Sleep only turns off the screen

ftrela

After the wake? Yes, that's actually how I know the system is waking properly apart from the screen - when trying to adjust brightness with shortcuts (f5 and f6 without Fn for my laptop) I can hear the "blocked" sound because I'm in the login screen and apparently they don't work there.

• Administrators

To me, there is something weird on your system...

You obviously aim to disable your GeForce 920M (Kepler) dGPU through that SSDT-Disable-dGPU table. You quite rightly rename PEGP device to GFX0 in your Clover config. Looking at your extracted tables, the dGPU could be believed connected to root device PEG0.PEGP @1. But then, in IOReg, I see that dGPU active under root device RP05 @1C,4. We would need to confirm what is what through an IOReg extract taken without any DSDT/SSDT patches affecting or aiming to affect dGPU.

I also derive from your IOReg that you're using Clover config called "config.plist" which sets SMBIOS to MBP12,1. The only other SMBIOS you could use for your Broadwell platform would normally be MBA7,1 or MBA7,2, not MBA6,2 which is Haswell...

Can you please explain what you patched in your DSDT?

I most likely messed up some SSDT patches while trying to disable the dGPU. I was trying to disable it with the _OFF method manually and probably injected it in the wrong place along the way. I think I'm going to give it another go. Thank you for looking into that!

I have eventually managed to fix the black screen issue by injecting EDID and setting ig-platform-id to 0x1620006. Thank you @Hervé, @Jake Lo and @eC//FrEaK for your invaluable help with getting my device to sleep properly :) 

• Administrators

@ftrela, could you please:

1. remove that SSDT-Disable-DGPU table
  2. reboot the laptop
  3. save an output of SysProfiler/SysInfo + IORegistryExplorer and post a zipped copy of them

dGPU definition and controls will be in the following tables:

• DSDT.Aml
  • SSDT-8-SaSsdt.aml
  • SSDT-9-SgPch.aml
  • SSDT-10-OptTabl.aml

It's important to identify the correct device used for the dGPU in order to try and disable it properly.