XPS M1330 how to install SL

wishb0ne

Hi there

First of all thanks to the site, helped me set up my friends d630, i've managed in the past to set up a mini 10v but that was fairly straight forward as there is a group solely focused on that.

I've just got the XPS m1330 as mentioned above and want to ideally put both ubuntu and SL on to it but mainly SL, what i'm not sure is what is the best way to do it, i like your methods with the latitudes but i don't know if they will work with my xps?

I have the intel wifi card so will replace that for the broadcom one which i think should work? again i'm not sure if it will but from all the blogs it would seem to..

Any help would really be appreciated.

Regards

John

• Administrators

hmm... the first thing you would need is a modified dsdt of your machine and also know your graphics type.... the d630 has gma 965 chipset so that might be a starting point for you build wise. so it might have the same inherent qualities.... good and bad.... like not letting you install if it has intelwifi enabled in bios.

There is a long thread about this on insanelymac.

First: X3100 or NV8400 graphics??

For x3100 you need the DSDT from this forum for the Dell D630 and you will get

32-bit only.

For Nvidia you can take your own or one from the insanely thread.

Note shutdown/ reboot won't work with NVidia.

And for 10.6.8 you need to replace:

AppleACPIPPlatform.kext and

IOPCIFamily.kext

with the 2 found in the netkas blog.

Otherwise you will stuck at: [PCI Configuration begins...

2_files_kexts.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for that clarification Bronx.

Therefore would I be right in thinking that using the d630 method which is all on a USB pen would work, giving me a 32 bit osx?

How do I get a 64 bit osx machine?

What about iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and multifail? They claim to work with any core2 machine?

Thanks in advance

John

Therefore would I be right in thinking that using the d630 method which is all on a USB pen would work, giving me a 32 bit osx?

What about iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and multifail? They claim to work with any core2 machine?

Thanks in advance

John

ive had issues with 10.6.8 and inspiron 1520 x3100 (almost clone of m1330 in dsdt)and tried many things..

i think i will have to use a modified IOPCIFamilly (netkas) because all the fixes including _UID dont work past 10.6.7

anyways on topic

get the dsdt from the insanelymac thread for dsdt m1330 m1530 and make your usb 8gb snow leo 10.6.3

install chameleon2.1 to it (enable GeneratePStates GenerateCSTates) and smbios.plist of MacBook5,2 and it should work up to 10.6.7 .. the 10.6.8 did something in x3100 that im currently trying to pinpoint.

u can optionaly restore the 10.6.3 in windows with transmac and use a boot cd to install from usb then reboot with cd and boot hdd to install chameleon2.1 to hdd and chameleon wizard to make smbios and settings.

John

Yes =X3100. No way with 64-bit.

My Dell 1330/X3100 run fine 32-bit 10.6.8, with the D630 DSDT, and the 2 Netkas forum kexts.

If I remember correctly you need the kext for eth: BCM5772D.Kext.

SMBIOS MB 4.1

Now I am running 10.7.1.

So am I right in thinking that if I follow the d630 download and add the two Kexts mentioned below I should end up with OSx on my m1330?

When and where do I add the kexts?

John

Yes =X3100. No way with 64-bit.

My Dell 1330/X3100 run fine 32-bit 10.6.8, with the D630 DSDT, and the 2 Netkas forum kexts.

If I remember correctly you need the kext for eth: BCM5772D.Kext.

SMBIOS MB 4.1

Now I am running 10.7.1.

So am I right in thinking that if I follow the d630 download and add the two Kexts mentioned below I should end up with OSx on my m1330?

When and where do I add the kexts?

John

You need:

/Extra/DSDT from D630 and SMBios MB 4.1

/S/L/E/ the 2 netkas kext (s.a.) and BCM5772D.kext (google)

Use KextWizard for the install.

Good luck