Lenovo G40-80 (i3-5005U + Intel HD Graphics 5500): help with macOS High Sierra

malikabuzar

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both methods were tried. -igfxvesa resulted in Kernel Panic. Adding ig-platform-id and fake id both 0x12345678 let me boot the OS and get to the desktop. Repaired permissions using "diskutil resetUserPermissions /'id -u' and rebuilt cache using "sudo kextcache -i /", then restarted with same result of Kernel Panic. Did I do this right??

How can we eliminate DVMT prealloc memory as possible culprit of unexpected results??? 

As I mentioned I used the estimation from another website to determine the DVMT prealloc of my machine. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, malikabuzar said:

Graphics DVMT prealloc is 128 MB. (Determined with the help of a tutorial which says that if your Dedicated Graphics Memory in Windows is shown to be less than 128, your DVMT prealloc is Dedicated Memory + 32 and if it is 128 or greater then DVMT prealloc is equal to the Dedicated Memory. My Dedicated Graphics Memory is 128 MB, so...).

Is there any other, more accurate method to ensure the DVMT memory size??

• Administrators
  1. You boot your current config (which includes the Broadwell DVMT adjustment) with iGPU fake id and ig-platform-id set to 0x12345678
  2. Once at the macOS desktop, you open up Terminal and repair permissions + rebuild your cache according to the instructions published in our FAQ section
  3. You then reboot without the iGPU faked-id or ig-platform-id set to 0x12345678

You can read about the DVMT settings and the associated requirement in Firewolf's original blog. Of course, if your BIOS permits it, set DVMT accordingly (between 64MB and 128MB).

https://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3/

• Moderators

Remove folder /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.14

Looking at your IOReg file, it doesn't show Lilu nor Whatevergreen loaded. So Clover must be loading files from from 10.14 which is missing Lilu.kext that's needed with Whatevergreen.

NVM, you're installing HS which is 10.13, but good idea to remove that folder anyway.

With that said, you must be booting from different source than the Clover folder you have attached.

Confirm there is no EFI folder on the root?

Not having any previous info about the source of the installer, check if the following kexts exist in /S/L/E

• AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer
  • AppleIntelBDWGraphics
  • AppleIntelHD5000Graphics
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsMTLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

7 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Remove folder /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.14

Removed all folders except others.

you're installing HS

I'm not installing. Its already installed and running. Just trying to fix the Graphics.

With that said, you must be booting from different source than the Clover folder you have attached.

Confirm there is no EFI folder on the root?

Attached is the screenshot for my EFI partition directory structure.

Not having any previous info about the source of the installer, check if the following kexts exist in /S/L/E

• AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer
  • AppleIntelBDWGraphics
  • AppleIntelHD5000Graphics
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsMTLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

All present in S/L/E.

6 hours ago, Hervé said:

Is this a vanilla installation or a distro?

It is a standard update install from Sierra. Although graphics weren't working in Sierra, either.

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 6.03.41 AM.png

• Moderators

Clover is outdated, Config is missing a few patches. Try this, delete the following folders from /EFI/Clover

• drivers64
  • drivers64UEFI

Download and install Clover from here with the following settings

• Install for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • UEFIDrivers\Recommended Drivers
    • ApfsDriverLoader
    • AptioMemoryFix
    •  AudioDxe
    • DataHubDxe
    • FSInject
    • HFSPlus
    • SMCHelper
  • Additional drivers
    • PartitionDxe
  • Themes (Optional)
  • Install Clover Preference Pane (Optional )

Now replace Config file with the attached.

config.plist.zip