E6520

DraKuL71

Hi iMick,

Please help me with this issue. Looks like this issue is not specific to my machine. Looks like ML 10.8.2 is breaking with the latest E6520 bootpack and E.D.P. I already opened a defect for this. Please let me know how I can get help from you.

MacFace, this may not be your issue as it seems to be at a much lower level with the controller/device error, but one thing I found was necessary for the 10.8.2 update was the removal of OemSMBIOS.kext -- look inside your FakeSMC plugins, or possibly even your System/Library/Extensions for an OemSMBIOS.kext (and delete it, then myFix.)

I understand your E6520 may have different hardware from mine - not sure if you have NVidia graphics or just the Intel HD3000, but if you're unable to even boot, give my Extra archive a try from the other thread and do a full myFix.

Hi lgashu,

Thanks for trying to help me out. I have HD3000 graphics card on it. I tried your extra and still I am getting the same error. tried different flash cards just to eliminate the chance of a bad card.

Today I tried the boot option -x -v and I got a little more detailed error, for which I am attaching the photo.

Once again thanks for helping me.

post-6552-057994700 1350425654_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bronxteck, I am able to bypass the Kernel panic by doing any of the following.

1. Remove tscsync.kext as you suggested.

2. Also the same can be done by enabling only 1 CPU core.

But no matter what I do, I ran into 1 more issue. The screen froze after showing the ip address(last line). After that I am seeing an error message confirming the boot failed(just a message for how long OSX is up). I couldnt makeout anything meaningful out of the screen.

I am attaching the photo of the error. This machine has quad core i7 processor. Please help me progress further.

post-6552-071869700 1350439150_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

well ok now after that screen it should boot to the installer as that what the picture shows but your graphic card is not loading. you might need a newer chameleon version with better hd3000 support or better DSDT or efi string in your boot plist. have you tried booting with GraphicsEnabler=yes or no?

I installed OSX using unifail and copied the bootloader from unifail USB. I found the following issues after that.

1. I am able to login only with -x (safe mode) flag.

2. My BIOS has NVidia Otimus technology and only after disabling it I am able to boot successfully.

3. Even though I think my graphics card is HD3000 , OSX is recognizing it as "NVIDIA Chip Model 3 MB"

4. Audio is still an issue

5. Wifi is not yet working

Please help me if you can with any of the above issues.

MacFace, I'm confused now. You say that you have NVidia Optimus technology - I am assuming that means you have the NVidia 4200M as well? In our BIOS, disabling Optimus disables the Intel HD3000 and only presents the NVidia chip. It's not recognized out of the box by Mountain Lion, which is why you're seeing "3 MB"

Regarding your other issues, you need to remove the tscsync.kext - your second error screen isn't super informative, but I'd be willing to bet it is actually a graphics issue, requiring patching (or overriding) your nvidia kexts.

Your wifi will likely never work unless you replace the card with another one. I recommend the Atheros 9280.

I'm interested in what errors you get with my Extra pack - it sounds like you have a similar configuration.

lgashu,

thanks alot man, finally i made the display to work on E6520 based on your extra, but installation based on unifail. I think you are right that mine may be Nvidia card, but when I boot in windows, it shows me as HD3000. I am even confused. Only 2 things pending are Audio and Wifi. I will go by your suggestion regarding Wifi. But Audio is still a puzzle to me. I will look into it. Still booting needs -x flag, but I can live with it.

Thanks a lot for all your help. We need more people like you, who takes time for others. .

lgashu,

thanks alot man, finally i made the display to work on E6520 based on your extra, but installation based on unifail. I think you are right that mine may be Nvidia card, but when I boot in windows, it shows me as HD3000. I am even confused. Only 2 things pending are Audio and Wifi. I will go by your suggestion regarding Wifi. But Audio is still a puzzle to me. I will look into it. Still booting needs -x flag, but I can live with it.

Thanks a lot for all your help. We need more people like you, who takes time for others. .

Be careful using unifail/multifail. It will tend to modify/install kexts directly in your /System/Library/Extensions and can lead to some puzzling problems when you upgrade. If you have the time, I would do a fresh install using myHack and put my Extra folder on the USB installer, so that when myHack asks you if you want to use a generic Extra or your own, you can select that one. With mine, audio should work (using VoodooHDA/HDAdisabler), and if you happen to get one of those Atheros 9280 half-height cards (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ar9280&_sacat=0&_from=R40) that will work with my dsdt/kexts too. (You can also look at Apple-branded Broadcom cards as those are generally recognized right out of the box.)

Also, try to install Chameleon instead of chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded); avoiding tonycrap's stuff wherever possible is a good idea.