Broadcom USH - BCM5880

Ashida

• Administrators

Like for most (if not all) USB devices, there are no kexts for this piece of hardware. If your laptop has a fingerprint scanner based on this device, it can only be used under OS X through a supporting software. Finding such software has remained a problem to this day...

NB: Some laptops also have a Broadcom BCM5880 device listed in their USB hardware without necessarily having a fingerprint scanner physically fitted to the computer, it's the built-in Integrated Secure Applications Processor chip:

BCM5880.jpg

My laptop has a TPM chip , but also has the fingerprint actually , I wanted to be able to activate and use the TPM functions , and also the use of fingerprints would be quite useful to me ... I will search a little to try find a software that works with fingerprint because the TPM far as I know is not supported on Mac (at least until 2012 it was not - most of the materials I read were this time )

my laptop is a Latitude E6400, with 0U965R motherboard

• Administrators

The old Protector Suite software worked fine with older Latitude D Series + Precision M Series laptop up to Snow Leopard (those laptops use a totally different fingerprint scanner hardware then the E Series though). For Lion and ML, you had to switch to Authentec TrueSuite software. When Apple released Mavericks, TrueSuite support was affected and I remember reading that login through finger scanning no longer worked.

Authentec was bought by Apple in July 2012, then all support and software development ceased at the end of that year. I can't say if TrueSuite would install or run in recent OS X versions such as Mav/Yos/EC or if it would support the BCM5880 chip (though I doubt it) but there's only one way to know I guess...

http://web.archive.org/web/20130306124038/http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Mac/TrueSuite.aspx