[Solved] Dell 7490 i5 won't boot to installation

MatiWaldi

Hello, good morning everyone. 

I'm coming today with a big or a small problem, since I'm fighting with that about 9 days today and for me is pain in the ass..
I have a Dell Latitude 7490 with i5-8350u processor. I tried to install Mojave 10.14.6 and every time when I boot from usb I got a KP, a restart or a crossed circle. My BIOS settings are the same as in this thread 

I'm using crateinstallmedia method only. On some point I just copied wole EFI from this thread

but I get kernel panic.  I messed around with this EFI folder but no success. I tried so many options and configurations, I even change laptop for identical other one. Used USB2.0 and 3.0, no matter...  I'm really out of power right . If anyone could give some advice or provide some more help, I'll be grateful.
Thanks in advance and have a nice day everyone.

• Administrators

1st thing 1st, about the process: I've very clearly stated that you copy the files and folders of the posted Clover pack to the EFI/Clover folder of your mounted EFI partition. So, you do not "copy whole EFI" from my guide per sé, no. It's probably just poor/shortcut writing but it's important to be very precise and specific in everything you do in Hackintoshing matters.

Now, the main info... Your signature states that you have a DW1820A wireless card and you therefore need to inject the necessary properties to boot the USB installer and your subsequent macOS installation. These properties not present in the Clover config of the pack since all 7490 cannot be expected to be fitted with that kind of card. Please refer to my BCM4350 guide will all due attention and adjust your Clover config accordingly.

But, given that you may still have issues depending on the exact DW1820A model fitted to your 7490, you may want to temporarily disable wireless in BIOS until you've installed macOS, identified the exact model you've got at hands and, if applicable, injected the required properties. You may then engage in DW1820A troubleshooting but of all 3 x models I tested in the 7490, only part #OVW3T3 was fully and properly supported. If you do not have that model, I suggest you replace it by a DW1560 card which is fully supported.

Hi Herve, thanks for a fast response>
My DW1820A is one of that are fully supported (CN-0VW3T3-75772-623-0FA3-A00). I checked that when I bought it, about one year ago, but until this week I didn't use it yet. I turned of all Wifi, Bluetooth and WWAN cards( not present so no matter). but I still get KP.  I record whole boot compress it and attached, so maybe this will give you a clue what is happened. If not, please tell me how can I get the info what is going wrong

Thanks in advance
Greetings, Mati

IMG_0299.mov.zip

• Administrators

It does not look like a KP actually, does the laptop reset/reboot afterwards? Are you using the revised pack I posted on Sunday? Because the DSDT I had posted before caused that... Just in case, you can try and go to Options->ACPI patching->DSDT from Clover main menu and bypass the patched DSDT by selecting "BIOS.aml" as DSDT name.

It works. Now I have a installed MacOS Mojave, for now I see that touchpad not working. But quick question. if you add a patches to ACPI/Patched,  You have to also put names of the patches to Sortet Order on ACPI tab in clover configurator? Or if there is possibility to have BIOS.aml option stay permanently? 

• Administrators

"Sorted Order" field is for patched SSDT tables that you may inject in a specific order. By default, all will be loaded so no need to do anything in the present case.

If, for reasons I cannot explain, the patched DSDT causes renewed issues, simply remove the file from Clover's EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. that or you specify "BIOS.aml" in the DSDT field of the ACPI section of your Clover config (you'll see this in Clover Configurator app).

• Moderators

Since DSDT is hardware and BIOS specific for each system, it's better if you patch your own DSDT so you don't have this boot issue.

Probably better solution is to figure out how to add the Brightness Fn key patches to an SSDT-xx so it's not dependent of the BIOS or hardware.

Since the extra DSDT only has patch for Fn11 and F12 for Brightness, you can simply leave it out and install Karabiner-Elements.app instead and assign the Fn keys accordingly.

I changed name in Clover Configurator. everything seems to work perfect, except one thing... guess what xD WiFi

Is visible in system but I can't turn it on, also no bluetooth in system. Right now I'm going to take a nap before my nightshift at work. But tomorrow I'll try guide which you post previously. And I'll keep you posted here what's going on with that. if you can give some advice I'll be grateful.

Thanks a lot

Mati