[SUCCESS] Dell Precision M4800 - macOS Catalina

tluck

I looked at another M4800, and it looks like the camera is USB-based.

If I look at my Catalina installation with Hackintool I can see 2 USB controllers, XHC and EH01.

So I figured I try some of the mentions of editing the USBPorts.kext to match the model name etc...

Made several tries but nothing changed after rebooting...

Then I tried to just remove the USBPorts.kext from my /E/C/Kexts/Other and rebooted.

All of my USB:s still worked after reboot?... So I must have some other means to inject/fix the USB:s?

I suspected that I do not know what I'm doing really ;)

• Administrators

These days, you'd start with Rehabman's USBInjectAll kext and once macOS is running you can fine tune USB ports with Hackintool app which scans and detects all the USB ports on your computer. Hackintool can then generate 2 things: a table called SSDT-UIAC.aml which is to be used with USBInjectAll and a kext USBPorts which is to be used on its own (i.e. without USBInjectAll and SSDT-UIAC).

This being said, you can check if your USB-internal webcam is detected through SysInfo; if it is, it'll be listed in the USB section where you'll see its PCI ids (vendor + device). It would look fairly similar to this with, additional USB hubs for USB2.0:

SysInfo_USB.jpg

Ok, thanks for the info Hervé!

I think I grasp the general idea on how to proceed.

I also saw that Hackintool provided a short "how-to" about this...

The main issue (I think) is that my current config does not find the USB-hub where the camera is.

I'll give it a try when I have some time...

• Administrators

That would be surprising but you could check in IOReg with IORegistryExplorer. Note that if your M4800 has USB3 and USB2.0 ports as I expect it does since it's a Haswell platform, you should probably install Rehabman's latest FakeCPIID + FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts to gain USB multiplexing and get all the USB hubs properly reported.