Is there a way to find out which kexts are being used

CypressPearl

I am not new to computers but am fairly new to OS X.

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer or point me to where I can get the answers.

On my Hackintosh desktop, in my /System/Library/Extensions I have 229 items, mostly filename.kext files.

In my /Extra/Extensions I have eight filename.kext files.

Is there a way to find out which kexts are being used and for what reason (i.e for what hardware)?

For example, I know that I have an ATI 5000 series video card, so I don't think that the computer is using all of the other ATI card kexts.

As a learning experience, I would like to get Lion installed on my desktop computer; It currently has Snow Leopard on it.

When I try to run the Lion installer USB Pen (myHack and unifail versions) I am able to get to the Disk Utility to format the disk but it is not shown (only the USB pen is shown).

The bios of this computer does not have AHCI, though it is a sata hard drive.

Sorry its a little long winded but the question is marked in bold above.

CP

• Administrators

well there are a couple of ways around that that happened to me with my desktop. what i did was connect my sata hdd to a usb converter then it was seen in the disk utility... then i installed osx that way. once it booted i was able to run lion off of usb enough to dump my dsdt and install ioatafamily from 10.6.7 into s/l/e rebuild my caches and install the hdd back to my internel sata... you van also try at chameleon prompt -v npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 but if you patch your DSDT properly then you do not need the ioatafamily kext from SL 10.6.7

Thank you Bronxteck.

I will try this method that you suggested with ioatafamily.

ahh, DSDTs and patching, a whole lot of fun that I have yet to learn about!

Any answers for my main question though?

Is there a way to find out which kexts are being used and for what reason (i.e for what hardware)?

Thanks

CP

• Administrators

Hi cypress,

I did came across a website that list down all the kexts and explains what each kext are for. Let me see if I can find it again and will let you know.

Hi Rhyker,

Food for thought.. Isn't that what kext cache is? :P

Cheers!

Thank you for this list, it helps a lot for my understand.

Is there a way to find out which kexts are being used on the RUNNING SYSTEM, right now?

(Not that I want to delete the kexts, but so that I can map out this kext abcde.kext is used for the SD card reader, this other one qwerty.kext is used to for the WIFI card, etc...).

Hi cypress,

Here you go : http://osx86.tistory.com/243

Enjoy!