D620 broadcom or intel, nvidia or intel?

jadajada

I am planning to hackintosh a Dell D620. I have access to several. Some have broadcom wi-fi and some have intel wi-fi. Some have intel graphics and some have nvidia graphics.

What is the most suitable configuration? Since the wi-fi card is easy to replace I can make sure that I start out with a machine that is as compatible as possible.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Hi jada..

You should go for the broadcom wifi and nvidia graphics. However, make sure the broadcom wifi is supported. Check the wiki section on rebranding broadcom wifi for list of supported model. Furthermore, as the upcoming mountain lion will most likely drop support for intel gma 950 and x3100, you should steer away from those cards and go for nvidia cards.

Cheers!

OK. Up and running. However my wi-fi does not show up. I took the card from a D420 I have, I think it is called DW 1390 or something similar. When I boot up 10.6.0 there's no airport card present. If I put the card back into the D420, also on OSX 10.6.0, it shows up. Can a wi-fi card work in the D420, but not in the D620?

This was strange...

OK. Up and running. However my wi-fi does not show up. I took the card from a D420 I have, I think it is called DW 1390 or something similar. When I boot up 10.6.0 there's no airport card present. If I put the card back into the D420, also on OSX 10.6.0, it shows up. Can a wi-fi card work in the D420, but not in the D620?

This was strange...

This might help:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/256-how-to-install-lion-on-d620/page__view__findpost__p__8050

Cheers

I tried the tip from the link above. It seems to apply to Lion, but I tried it anyway. Nothing happened. Still no wi-fi. The card is seated and it is turned on in bios. The switch is on. If I boot a Linux live-cd wi-fi works, so the card does work. I have another hackintosh, a Dell D420. If I move the card over to that machine, it also works. But not on this D620...

I am running out of options...