Inspiron 7537: unable to update to Catalina 10.15.1

Mate94

Hey @Jake Lo

Long time no see, huh. 😅

As Apple released 10.15.1, I immediately downloaded and copied the new macOS Catalina installer to my USB stick. Just to have everything up to date when my WiFi card arrives. Or so I thought.

Other than that, I updated my Others/kext folder on the stick with the new WhateverGreen.kext, Lilu.kext, VirtualSMC.kext., and SMCBatteryManager.kext.

Although, I don't think that any of these have anything to do with the issue, namely again the lack of USB power and "still waiting for root device". Do we need some new ACPI/DSDT/SSDT patches for 10.15.1? I haven't seen anybody having to do so. Very strange. 😅

Disclaimer: I didn't modify anything from your patched ACPI folder. Why does it refuse to boot is beyond me right now. 

Your wise words are always welcome, thank you!

IMG_20191031_184115.thumb.jpg.96ce4b9c638d3151e848d60f9d687aa9.jpg

IMG_20191031_184155.thumb.jpg.a724a14389d0a2df1447b9b5069f5a1b.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If you have Catalina previously installed, no need to create new installer. You could just do an upgrade just like on a real Mac.

Can you boot from the SSD? not the installer?

Have you tried different USB ports?

Post your latest Clover folder

No, nothing like that just yet. It may have been confusing, but we are still in booting the installer phase a.k.a booting from a USB stick. 😀
I can't install just yet since I don't have wired internet connection, and the usual Intel WiFI+BT combo doesn't work.

I have tried different ports, stops at the very same message as previously attached.

Clover... Next time I won't forget.😅 Here we go!

Thank you Jake! 

CLOVER EFI.zip

You got the wrong idea as well! 😅 There is no macOS installed on my computer as of yet.

I am only talking about my USB boot drive, and only the boot drive, nothing else. @Jake Lo was kind enough to patch my DSDT/SSDTs, create a config.plist and correct some of my kexts to make system finally boot from this USB stick, but now when I swapped 10.15 to 10.15.1, and even when everything remained the same, this drive will run into the same issue I had first asked help for here, meaning I get 'still waiting for root device" KP(?), where previously this was solved by Jake. 

So, once again, I am once again asking for help in making my Clover boot drive actually boot to the installation screen. 

Thank you guys for your kind attention to my problem! 

• Administrators

You speak of patched DSDT and SSDTs, yet the EFI folder you posted contains no ACPI/patched folders with such tables. I suggest you fix that before anything else because you listed SSDT-PNLF after a whole set of SSDTs that carry the names of your extracted tables, this because you've activated DropOEM SSDT alongside dropping CPU power management related SSDTs CpuPm + Cpu0Ist. This is totally incorrectly set. You appear to have a Haswell laptop, so I'd say there is no need to drop any OEM SSDTs, nor the CpuPm + Cpu0Ist ones. Just set PluginType as you did and all should work perfectly well.

I also looked at the ACPI patches defined in your Clover config and I noticed you rename EC0 to EC; it's not required, the vanilla DSDT in your ACPI/origin folder shows that your Embedded Controller ACPI device is natively called "EC".

I apologize for the rookie mistakes, and making you guys run in unnecessary circles.
Please let me try again, now with @Jake Lo made "patched" folder. 

He also sent me this config.plist, which by the looks use DropOEM SSDT and etc. I shamelessly hand over every responsibility to Jake regarding your criticism. But I definitely learned from this, thank you HervĂ©. 😄

CLOVER EFI.zip

• Administrators

Nope, no responsibility to shamelessly hand over to Jake Lo, the wrongdoing was all yours. Now that you've added the ACPI/patched folder, I can see that he dropped OEM SSDTs for a reason: he patched those SSDT tables, I can clearly see that by comparing them with their vanilla counterparts.

No way to guess without the full set of files and proper explanations...

The whole saga starts from here. Our current and that topic were split by I guess one of you. Ignore the title being "10.15.1 Beta", that was 10.15.

I don't really see what else is left to attach. I have already explained everything that happened. 

mac OS Catalina USB installer:
Partition 1: CLOVER EFI

Partition 2: 10.15 Catalina 

Result: Loads the installer without any issue.

mac OS Catalina USB installer:
Partition 1: CLOVER EFI - same as before: same ACPI, kexts, drivers folder, etc.

Partition 2: 10.15.1 Catalina 

Result: "Still waiting for root device" - pictures attached in the beginning of the topic.

• Administrators

Well, you complicated things started a thread related to 10.15.1 beta, then pursuing it with released 10.15.1. Hackintoshing is not natural, not meant to be so ultra precision is of outmost importance.

This being said, I really don't see why the pack you use for 10.15 would not work for 10.15.1. I've updated 4 x different Hackintoshes and the upgrade went as smooth as usual.

I can only suggest you restart from scratch at 10.15 and then directly update to 10.15.1 rather than make a 10.15.1 USB installer and re-install 10.15.1. Considering what you described and posted above, you must have been doing something differently...