Inspiron 7537: unable to update to Catalina 10.15.1

Mate94

Just now, Hervé said:

Well, you complicated things started a thread related to 10.15.1 beta, then pursuing it with released 10.15.1

It wasn't me Hervé. That's not the original title of that thread I had created. One of your moderators are doing this without any announcement.

Just now, Hervé said:

This being said, I really don't see why the pack you use for 10.15 would not work for 10.15.1.

You are not exactly alone. Colour my surprise when that happened.

Just now, Hervé said:

I can only suggest you restart from scratch at 10.15 and then directly update to 10.15.1 rather than make a 10.15.1 USB installer and re-install 10.15.1. You must be doing something differently.

Hervé, pretty please, look at me and listen here carefully. 😅 

There is no mac OS operating system installed yet. Nought. Zero. Only Windows is on my SSD. No other OS. I am not updating any system with a newly created mac OS bootable USB drive. I am only swapping the "Install macOS Catalina.app" - 10.15 to "Install macOS Catalina.app" - 10.15.1 on the partition created in my USB stick.

I can clarify every time you want me to do so. 😃

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

* Off-topic *

Leon said it all many years ago: "The Hell of running a forum!"...

I am the prime moderator and maintain the forum so that it does not become a total mess, all as per our posted rules; I invite you to read them, they're available via the Discover menu at the top of our page. Like many moderators elsewhere, I have to exercise discipline to cater for a large number of people who post here in total anarchy, having never read our rules and/or not paying much attention to what's displayed on their screen. A single example: posting threads asking for support in our Guides section which is clearly labelled "no support here".

* End of off-topic *

I did catch that macOS was not installed on your laptop but you said you could boot a 10.15 USB installer, not your 10.15.1 installer, hence my suggestion to start afresh with 10.15... But I think we do not understand each other.

Now, returning to your predicament, allow me to raise my eyebrows...

47 minutes ago, Mate94 said:

I am only swapping the "Install macOS Catalina.app" - 10.15 to "Install macOS Catalina.app" - 10.15.1 on the partition created in my USB stick.

Better late than never I guess but most useful to know and if I take your words to the letter, I begin to understand where your troubles come from.....

You just don't simply copy the downloaded installation package on a USB key, install Clover on it and off you go. No, no, no, this isn't how things work! You have to create your USB installer with the createinstallmedia line (Terminal) command so that all the necessary files are properly extracted from the package contents (various compressed images) and installed on the USB key. Please look up our existing guides for any macOS version so that you properly your Catalina USB installer. Make sure you also install Clover properly, in the right mode and with the proper drivers/modules.

If seeking further assistance, I recommend detail very single action you took with outmost precision. Example:

1) I create the USB installer with ... by issuing the command ...

2) I installed Clover version ... with the options ... parameters ...

3) I installed this Clover pack ...

etc. etc.

As I said before, Hackintoshing is an "unnatural" thing so, unless you exercise outmost precision in what you do or say, you'll run into trouble and we won't be able to assist properly due to wrong assumptions and/or misunderstandings.

In the beginning, I partitioned my USB drive following Rehabman's laptop guide:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R

And I copied the macOS Catalina.app to this partition with this command:

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction

When I swapped 10.15 with 10.15.1, I used the very same command with only changes to the name of the volume: 

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Catalina --nointeraction

This command formats the target partition, therefore there it is easy to "update" the installer without recreating the whole thing with repartition, installing Clover and the macOS Catalina installer once again. Or so I thought.

Nevermind. I appreciate you attentive nature and the heads up, thank you Hervé!

As you said, it was time to redo the whole thing. I did. The results are still the same "still waiting for root device" error. The pictures of the KP are already attached. I am attaching my EFI folder reflecting its currents state. No further change will be applied until suggested otherwise.

I cannot thank enough, but still, thank you very much!

CLOVER EFI.zip

• Administrators

Out of interest, could you try to boot your USB installer without the VoodooPS2Controller kext you're currently injecting?

What you can also try as soon as you get the "Still waiting for root device" is take out the USB key and replug it into a different USB port.

17 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Did you make any changes in the BIOS?

No, I didn't.

Add or remove memory?

Nope.

Add any new hardware?

No.

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

What you can also try as soon as you get the "Still waiting for root device" is take out the USB key and replug it into a different USB port.

It... worked? (Starts loading again after "896mA of bus current is not available")

IMG_20191102_001529.thumb.jpg.b883b81593561a45a4fab09e7d17e5bf.jpg
No, please don't say a word. I am in the process of understanding how this is even possible, but... This is not how it is supposed to work, this not how any of this is supposed to work!😅🤨😮

If I ever were to make a detailed guide, this probably would be the most hilarious line of all:
Step XY: After a few seconds the status messages start to appear, but they soon will stop. Don't worry, fast unplug and plug back the USB stick and the process will continue.

But in all seriousness, what is this? Why? And more importantly, how?😅

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

Out of interest, could you try to boot your USB installer without the VoodooPS2Controller kext you're currently injecting?

I tried this afterwards. No change , the statues messages stops as usual, but continues if I unplug and plug it back immediately. 

Verdict: When booting your USB drive in verbose mode the messages would seemingly stop, unplug and plug back your stick immediately, and hopefully the process will continue. (If you are sure that your DSDT/SSDTs are "correct".)

This concludes then this issue again. Thank you guys for all of your patience and understanding. I swear that I will only waste your time next when I am ready to install.

• Administrators

The underlying issue at hand here is basically USB ports not being properly recognised/defined at OS X/macOS level. The Clover bootpack will need adjusting in that respect and, once you'll have installed macOS, you'll be able to generate your SSDT-UIAC table or USBPorts kext which will fully define and inject the USB ports characteristics of the computer.

Nothing ever works 1st time when you start Hackintoshing a new system from scratch, it's the normal process. It can takes hours, days, weeks to get a system fully working.

Hey @Hervé and @Jake Lo!

Finally, this day has arrived! My Broadcom on WiFi has arrived!

Of course, I rushed in to replace the old Intel and start installing macOS right away, if only for this warning message: "Your computer is not connected to a power source."

Well, it certainly is, but I don't have any battery installed. I was expecting some kind of trouble having no battery to be honest. 😅

Would do you think removing the ACPIBattery.kext solve the problem or would it also require DSDT patching? 

Too bad, that I have already erased my drive and I don't have any other PC available until I think of something.

PS.: I was wondering about this since I couldn't find a definitive answer: Would you recommend choosing APFS as Format when Erasing a drive or should it be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Does it make any difference? Going by the fact that with Journaled the installer would convert it to APFS anyway?

As always, I really appreciate your help and wish you a very nice day!

Thank you, Hervé!

After realising I was a fool, I managed to block the ACPIBatteryManager.kext and I installed Catalina successfully. Kinda.

The thing is that I could only boot to the post-installation in Safe mode (-x). Choosing my hard drive from the Clover boot loader, blocking ACPIBM.kext (abreviation) and booting in verbose (-v) would only lead to the standard macOS loading animation, but the loading bar would never fill up and there are no indication of my SSD reading or writing anything as the indicator LED is not blinking or anything, it just stays black. So, the loading bar appears after all the debugging messages disappear, so I can't even tell you where it stops exactly :(

At least I am in!

Now, probably my best option would be to install Clover to my hard drive and copy my EFI folder and check whether I could boot from my drive without my USB. I feat the worst. My USB ports don't have enough power for my USB drive to attach. :D

EDIT: I am unable to install Clover. Both dids' and CloverHackyColor's installer fails. This is unbelievable.