Latitude 7490 Installation Issues

humzaahmed155

Hey guys, after following Herve's guide on the forum for this specific laptop (albeit with an i5 instead of the i7), and using the Catalina pack he graciously provided, I seem to be having quite a few issues even getting to the installer.. 

Booting via USB2.0 works, when the installer doesn't kernel panic... Booting from USB3.0 gives me the infamous "Still waiting for root device" followed by the no access sign on screen. I know from past experience that USB2 fixes this, so I had to use my phone's USB-C to USB2 adaptor to get this to work hahaha!

Now, upon the first successful boot to the installer, I noticed that the keyboard and trackpad had stopped working (confirming that it was still responsive afterwards when I plugged my mouse in to begin the installation anyway). The installation succeeded, however booting into the installation caused a kernel panic every time. 

To summarise:

I have a Latitude 7490 with the i5 8350u CPU

Dell 1820A WiFi card (works flawlessly in the macOS installer) 

I'm using the Catalina pack Herve provided, implemented by dragging the kext, acpi and config.plist files into their locations in the EFI folder

USB3.0 boot doesn't work 

Keyboard and trackpad do not work

Kernel panics left right and centre (its been a while so if someone could point me out how to pull the log or stop it from rebooting on panic that would be nice!) 

I'm using Herve's BIOS settings, on the same BIOS version. 

Thanks!

Humza

Hey @Hervé so I managed to get Catalina booting with a few tweaks, namely it was largely just getting the essential EFI drivers from my E7250's EFI pack and copying those in, since I started to have issues with vboxhfs, and my installer/boot drive wasn't showing up. 

It does boot, however somehow WiFi has died, USB 3 does not work unfortunately, and the OS kernel panics occasionally.

Although I have the same chipset as you (effectively the same laptop anyway minus the CPU), what changes would I have to make to the DSDT if there would be any for my i5 8350u?

Thanks!

• Administrators

My guides include clear instructions with regards to Clover: version + installation settings. If you choose to copy an existing EFI folder from a different computer and build, I cannot vouch you'll be in the verified working conditions and, therefore, cannot really assist more. I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not prepared or willing to troubleshoot an installation that was not done by following the detailed instructions I posted.

If you run the same version of BIOS (at time of writing, latest remains 1.11.0 afaik), the DSDT is the same; it does not differ according to CPU model. If it did, Dell would provide different BIOS for different laptop models! As such, there's nothing to do on the matter; it's just that some people cannot boot with my patched DSDT for reasons I cannot comprehend. This being said, the patched DSDT serves 1 purpose only: activate brightness control through Fn-F11/Fn-F12. Jake Lo posted SSDT alternatives, so you can use that instead rather than my patched DSDT.

All you really need for Catalina compared to Mojave is:

1. add the ECDV to EC renaming in your Clover config; rest of the config is identical
  2. update Lilu kext and Plugins to latest versions

• Like 1

That's a fair point! I reverted to using your clover pack again this time.. I managed to get further (on BIOS.aml), successfully installed and booted Catalina, WiFi worked once, and neither does USB 3.0 still... The trackpad worked after updating Lilu, however, it stopped working on the next reboot hahahaha!

I think it still KPs on reboot/shutdown, but I think that's something I'll aim to solve at the end

Thanks!

Just an update @Hervé

I've managed to get the trackpad working and the system seems to be stable for the most part.. However, WiFi will stop working usually when I reboot the machine, it seems to only work if i switch to Windows and then back to Catalina again. I followed your guide on the 1820A and that has not unfortunately made a difference, in fact, I am running your old Catalina pack so I guess the 1820A should just be working OOB... 

USB 3 seems to work, the right side port and the first left side port work fine, the one next to the HDMI port seems to be dead though!

Anyway, it all seems good for now, I guess until I reboot hahahaha

Now, to find JakeLo's guide on the buttons...