Dell Studio 14z (1440)

Guest macaroni

Guest macaroni

Just thought I'd throw this out there, as I'm researching my hardware and thinking this through....Wondering if EDP tool would work - by putting kexts specific to my hardware in (custom?) folder (I do not have a dsdt) Currently just a clean 10.6.0 install and booting off iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) cd. Webcam and full resolution seem to work 'out of box'. Sound works but no volume control...perhaps voodoohda, not sure though.

Here's some of the main specs: (I can also post device id's)

-- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G

-- Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card

-- Integrated Memory - 1 GB

-- 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (1 DIMM) (I plan to add a 4GB module in place of this, for a total of 5GB - kind of an odd configuration, but figure I might as well max it out)

-- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

-- 14.0 inch High Definition+ (900p)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm certainly open to them. Thanks in advance.

Guest macaroni

yeah you should be able to rebuild from custom or current config if kexts are in Extentions. just dont build from models selection or you will get an incorect dsdt in your Extra folder.

Nice, many thanks for the help...it's proving to be a great tool! The D430 was a breeze.....looking forward to getting this 14z going now.

Will post results if anyone's interested.

Guest macaroni

Well, not too much to report...still a work in progress...haven't tried a dsdt since I honestly don't know the first thing about dsdt editing, but these kexts (attached screenshot) have me up and running 10.6.6 after using the latest beta release of edp (just dropped these kexts in my extra/extensions folder) and rebuilt from current config.

Basically what's left is:

1) getting the audio working fully (only on / off works, but no volume control i used Nawcom's Voodoo hda installer from google code

2) getting full qe/ci (have only one option on resolution...can get native using the tools in the new chameleon)

3) would like to get scrolling on the trackpad working

4) Updated Safari to 5.03, and keep getting beachball after about five seconds of browsing

5) photobooth works fine, but no go on ichat...sure it's a simple fix, just haven't figured it out yet.

Probably more to work on, but those are the things that stand out to me. If anyone wants to try the kexts I have, just let me know.

EDIT....screen capture/grab doesn't work...just give blank or no file at all....so scratch the attachment.

That's all I got.

Guest macaroni

Well, not too much to report...still a work in progress...haven't tried a dsdt since I honestly don't know the first thing about dsdt editing, but these kexts (attached screenshot) have me up and running 10.6.6 after using the latest beta release of edp (just dropped these kexts in my extra/extensions folder) and rebuilt from current config.

Basically what's left is:

1) getting the audio working fully (only on / off works, but no volume control i used Nawcom's Voodoo hda installer from google code

2) getting full qe/ci (have only one option on resolution...can get native using the tools in the new chameleon)

3) would like to get scrolling on the trackpad working

4) Updated Safari to 5.03, and keep getting beachball after about five seconds of browsing

5) photobooth works fine, but no go on ichat...sure it's a simple fix, just haven't figured it out yet.

Probably more to work on, but those are the things that stand out to me. If anyone wants to try the kexts I have, just let me know.

EDIT....screen capture/grab doesn't work...just give blank or no file at all....so scratch the attachment.

That's all I got.

Guest macaroni

Just wanted to mention I no longer have the 14z, abandoned the project, but tons of info available at insanelymac for the 14z.

• Administrators

Did you try to raise the volume from the mac audio prefpane or the little speaker symbol by the clock? It also seems like the keyboard is not mapped correctly for your laptop config.. maybe do a search on voodoops2 and scan codes or just try diffrent voodoops2controller.kexts