E6530 post catalina upgrade video glitches

Smart Tek Peru

Hello everyone.

I updated to catalina and I am trying to fix some video glitches when turning on and off my laptop (when turning it off issues are much more annoying).

Optimus is on in bios and my bios version is A20. Attached are my config file and acpi folder. Latest lilu +whatevergreen+alc are in kext folder "Other" and in S/L/E

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thank you.

IMG_20191104_232302229.jpg

config_ACPI.zip

• Administrators

-> Moving to the correct Dell support section. Please make every effort to post in the correct sections in the future. Guides sections are clearly labelled "No support here"...

You need to apply the Capri framebuffer memory size patch; details are available in my E6230 guide posted in the Guides section.

Then there are a few things that need to be looked up and adjusted in your Clover config:

1) Devices: I suggest you remove that very incorrect entry; there is absolutely no need to fake any iGPU with the iGPU of the E6x30 Series

Clover_Devices.jpg

2) Graphics: remove "inject intel" + the ig-layout-id you currently inject. Lilu + WEG take care of that and the layout-id you inject through Clover contradicts what you already inject in DSDT, i.e. the HiRes layout 0x01660004 which is accompanied with DualLink boolean set to true. I presume you have a HiRes screen... 

Clover_graphics.jpg

3) Patches:

KernelPm patch is for Haswell and later platforms for which CPU power management got transferred to the kernel. Your E6530 is Ivy Bridge and therefore CPU power management is managed by the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext. You need to enable AppleIntelCPUPM patch instead which applies to Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge platforms.

IOGraphicsFamily patches are obsolete now and WEG takes care of everything. You can remove this.

You're mixing direct cached kext references with com.apple.xxxxx; If, at some point in the past, the 2nd got mandatory, things reverted back to what they initially were and I'm not sure the com.apple.XXXXX still works these days. But I guess you can tell us if that's the case or not.

Clover_Patches.jpg

As Jake Lo's guide says, e6x30 models BIOS should not exceed BIOS version A11. My E6530 was on A12, and I did not have any graphic problems. So you should downgrade to a lower level bios from A20. "Downgrade to A02/A03 and then upgrade to A11 if it has exceeded: E6x30, E5x30"

Hervé: E6530 has Ivy Bridge CPU.

• Administrators

Yes, sorry for my mistake, I was writing about CPU PM in relation to Sandy + Ivy Bridgers and wrote "Sandy" instead of "Ivy." All E6x30 are of course  3rd gen Ivy Bridge, not 2nd gen Sandy bridge.

JakeLo's guide does indeed mention a version of BIOS that, for years, was not to be exceeded but subsequent versions can actually be used if you apply the Capri FB memory size patch. I can vouch for it, I'm using BIOS A19 on my E6230 that, for years, was said not to be updated beyond BIOS A11 or A12 to avoid graphics corruption and garbled screen.

Since you're on a highest BIOS version, it's not as if you have anything to lose by applying the patch anyway. I'm pretty sure you'll find it works and that'll save you the hassle of downgrading BIOS which requires a 2 phase approach:

1) downgrade to the lowest possible BIOS (eg: version A01/A02/A03)

2) upgrade to BIOS A11

For the rest, yes, you can follow Jake Lo's guide since you probably did not use his Clover pack in the 1st place.

18 hours ago, Hervé said:

> Moving to the correct Dell support section. Please make every effort to post in the correct sections in the future. Guides sections are clearly labelled "No support here"...

Sorry about that, I'll be more careful next time.

I followed your instructions (1,2, 3( not sure if the com.apple.XXXXX syntax has any negative effect)) and updated my config.list file (see attached). Now there are no glitches when turning the laptop off. No bios downgrade was not required. Thank you for your help.

There's one small glitch when turning it on (it lasts less than a second), any ideas why this happens?

On the other hand, I noticed that no usb 3.0 are detected (picture attached), Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Kexts in other Catalina E6530.png

USB detected.png

Glitch start e6530.png

config.plist.zip

• Administrators

Yes, that's a well-known boot glitch we all encounter. The old IOGraphicsFamily patch used to take care of that but WEG now does (and I can confirm this on my E6230). If it's not the case for you which would surprise me, you could always try to re-instate the old patch but you'd have to check if Catalina would use the same one as Mojave for instance.

Your kext set is very messy and contains numerous kexts that are irrelevant, not required and contradictory. Those will impact the usability and operation of your E6530 Hackintosh. I'm talking about kexts related to irrelevant chipsets (Series 200, x99, nForce, Via), CPU power management (NullCPUPM), audio (patched AppleHDA vs. AppleALC), etc.

I suggest you look into (and use) the Clover packs available in our various recent E6x30 guides to address this as well as patched ACPI tables so that you have a fully and properly working Hack (with USB3 functionality).

• Administrators

Your patched DSDT did include the appropriate Darwin injection that enables USB3.0 capability. However, you have an additional USB-related SSDT and a few USB-related patches on your Clover config.

I suggest you proceed as follows:

1) remove the USB-related SSDT + USB-related Clover patches.

2) assuming you've removed all those unnecessary kexts you had, reboot with only  USBInjectAll kext for USB ports.

3) upon reboot, run Hackintool app and generate the SSDT-UAIC table + USBPorts kext.

4) you may then reboot with either USBPorts kext on its own or USBInjectAll + the generated SSDT-UAIC.

All your USB ports should be operational and with USB3 capability. Check your SysInfo->USB section to that effect.