D630 question thank you

Wayne

I am just about the buy a D630 2.2 with intel graphics and 4gb of ram could I ask you guys for some advice please

The bios on the machine is from original purchase should I leave as is or update to the current bios on the dell site prior to installing OSX and secondly can I use my PPC G5 to install all the software on the USB stick?, as my computer is IBM based and only takes up to 10.5.8?, is to ok to use that platform to install and format the USB stick ( it says in the introduction in things you need

Requirements:

* 8gb USB Pen

* A Mac with OSX 10.6 or newer

* A bootpack for your machine

* myHack (Download links in the bottom)

* A Snow Leopard (SL) 10.6 or 10.6.3 DMG file _OR_ a Lion/Mountain Lion Install image from appstore

I only as I say have a power pc G5 am I ok using that as have no computer with snow leopard

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

Hi wayne...

I would advice that you don't get the D630 with the intel X3100 graphics card as mountain lion will not support the graphics card when it out this summer.

If you do get the D630 I would advice you update to the latest bios so that troubleshooting for any problem that may come up is easier when we work from the same baseline

You can use the ppc 10.5.8 to partition the usb stick with gpt and hfsplus. However, I think my hack would not run on ppc based mac because i think my hack uses intel architecture only. But then I stand to be corrected.

Cheers!

Hi wayne...

I would advice that you don't get the D630 with the intel X3100 graphics card as mountain lion will not support the graphics card when it out this summer.

If you do get the D630 I would advice you update to the latest bios so that troubleshooting for any problem that may come up is easier when we work from the same baseline

I would think my hack would run on an intel based 10.5.8 but I don't think you can run my hack on ppc based mac cause i think my hack uses intel architecture. But then I stand to be corrected.

Cheers!

Thanks I'm at a stumbling block then, basically am I right in thinking that you need an intel machine to load the softwares on the USB stick and then you run everything via the USB stick? Or do you have to physically connect the machine to an intel based machine?, sadly I have no access to intel based apples , any further advice appreciated

I think ill try the old install method i have a few questions about the following please

Requirements:

1. 8gb USB pen

2. OSX SL 10.6.0 image (not anything higher)

3. a working OSX machine

Howto:

1. Re-partition your usb pen as GUID and Mac OS file system

2. Restore the orginal OSX SL 10.6.0 image to the pen using Disk Utility’s restore function

3. Install the bootloader (attached to post) onto the usb pen – You can download it from below.

(Remember to select correct destination)

4. Extra the extra.zip to the root of the USB drive (attached to post)

5. Boot and install =)

in section 1. do you format to two partitions or one partition please I have a 14gb usb pen or does all the information go onto one partiion?

in Section 2 do you put the SL 10.6 on a secondary partition or the same one please?

in section 3 does the bootloader go on the same partion as SL?

if you could explain thanks

• Administrators

Hi...

Yes. You only need an intel mac or hack to prepared the usb stick and run myhack to transfer installation files to the usb stick. After that, you use the USB stick to install OS X to the D630.

The easiest will still get your hand to someone mac. It may be possible to prepare the installation usb without having access to another mac but it will involve heavy command line work and use of multiple oses.

Cheers!

• Administrators

Hi wayne,

in section 1. do you format to two partitions or one partition please I have a 14gb usb pen or does all the information go onto one partiion?

You can create only one partition.

in Section 2 do you put the SL 10.6 on a secondary partition or the same one please?

You restore the image to the single partition you created.

in section 3 does the bootloader go on the same partion as SL?

Yes, You install chameleon to the same single partition.

if you could explain thanks

Cheers!

Hello up to now I have formated the USB Stick to GUID

I have copied Snow Leopard 10.6 to the Drive.

Can I ask what I do now where is the bootloader? I can see Chameleon on the link at the bottom of the page is that the bootlader please?

can you please provide a link as to what else I need to put on the USB stick I have downloaded the Chameleon and the extras folder

please offer advice about how I can progress with it cheers Wayne

what do I do when all files oare on the USB pen ( boot from that ?? )

surely it cant be as simple as that?

• Administrators

Hi wayne,

First, transfer the chameleon and Extra to the desktop (p/s the usb will be erased during preparation). After that, use myhack to prepare the usb installer and when it prompts for Extra, use you own and select the Extra on the desktop. After myhack is done you can try to boot from the USB to install lion.

Yes. Its that simple :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Hi wayne,

First, transfer the chameleon and Extra to the desktop (p/s the usb will be erased during preparation). After that, use myhack to prepare the usb installer and when it prompts for Extra, use you own and select the Extra on the desktop. After myhack is done you can try to boot from the USB to install lion.

Yes. Its that simple :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Apologies but I'm getting confused with all this can I explain exactly what I am planning to do and have done

Firstly I followed the old tutorial which is as follows

Here you can find two solutions for howto create a boot able USB pen with OSX.

Method 1. – Use a retail OSX 10.6.0

Requirements:

1. 8gb USB pen

2. OSX SL 10.6.0 image (not anything higher)

3. a working OSX machine

Howto:

1. Re-partition your usb pen as GUID and Mac OS file system

2. Restore the orginal OSX SL 10.6.0 image to the pen using Disk Utility’s restore function

3. Install the bootloader (attached to post) onto the usb pen – You can download it from below.

(Remember to select correct destination)

4. Extra the extra.zip to the root of the USB drive (attached to post)

5. Boot and install =)

I have

1. Repartioned USB stick to GUID one partition on The PPC G5

2. I have then copied Snow leopard using disc utility

3. I then copied tha Chameleon Bootloader to the USB stick and also the extras folder to the same USB stick

Here in lies my confusion in section 5 it says boot and install, I presume that this means boot the D630 with the USB stick or does it mean boot the D630 as normal via windows operating system and then install the software on the desktop? Of windows

I thought that you had to alter some parameters in the Bios but there is no mention of this in the instructions above?.

Do I download and copy my hack to the desktop of the D630 or to the USB stick which has Sl and the other files on?

I am following the old instructions but they don't mention Myhack or anything else

If you could kindly explain in simple terms exactly what to do with the USB stick do I copy the contents to the windows desktop of the D630 and what parameters do I need to alter in the bios

To Stress I only have the following components and software

Apple PPC G5 PRE SL IBM Platform

USB Stick

D630 Running Windows 7

I note after reading the MyHack instructions that my computer is NOT supported with their software hence me wishing to use the old instructions

to Quote myhack -

You will also need access to an x86 system (PPC is not supported) that is currently running OS X 10.5 or above (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion) to prepare your USB installation device.

if anyone could explain everything I need to do to use my current desktop as the old instructions at the top of this post are very short

Thanks very much in advance Wayne