E6230: Difficulty with Clean Install Guide for Catalina

scram69

Over the years, I have used Jake Lo's excellent Clover guide for numerous installs/upgrades.  The post has something like 300 Gazillion views, so obviously others rely on it heavily as well.

So I was surprised recently when things did not go smooth as silk for a clean install of Catalina.  I followed the instructions for creating the USB installer, but booting on the USB would hang.

However, I believe I was able to solve the issue (E6230 in my case, although it is likely this issue may be more widely applicable).

Below the "New Installation" section of the Catalina post, scroll down to step (3) of the "Upgrading to Catalina" section.  Note the patch to "Change ECDV to EC"

This DSDT patch needed to be applied to Clover on the USB in order to boot from the USB into the Catalina installer.  I used Clover Configurator to enter the patch info.

Once I had patched my Clover installation on the USB, I could boot from the USB and access the installer.

Thanks Jake - since you don't have a 6X30 IvyBridge bootpack for Catalina, I had rolled my own using my files that are working for my 6230 under Mojave, with the updated kexts (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC... Rehabman's stuff hasn't been updated in over a year...).

I just didn't notice the embedded controller patch until I read through the rest of the "Upgrade" post

Should my E6230 DSDT from Mojave still work, or does it need to be updated for Catalina as well?

OK, that's good to know.

In that case, I'm not sure why my DW1510 wifi card is not recognized.  It worked perfectly under Mojave.  I'm using the latest Lilu and WEG kexts, and RehabMan's most recent Brcm kexts.  However, the Brcm kexts date from May 2018...

I've attached my debug log if you would be willing to take a look-

Thanks!

debug_8634.zip

• Moderators

DW1510 is no longer supported in Catalina and as such you'll need to restore kext(s) from Mojave. 

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11138-inventory-of-supportedunsupported-wireless-cards-2-sierra-catalina/

For 10.15.0, you'll only need IO80211Family.kext replaced from Mojave  copy to /L/E

For 10.15.1, you'll need both IO80211Family.kext and  IO80211FamilyV2.kext from Mojave copy to /L/E

Repair permissions and rebuild cache

• Like 1

Thanks again for the tip - does it make any difference whether these go into /L/E or /S/L/E/ on Catalina?  It seemed to work either way.

However, it takes ~5 minutes following boot for the network panel (com.apple.preferences.network.remoteservice) to start responding and recognize any of the network interfaces.

I've tried both the Mausi and AppleIntelE1000e.kext; same results.

Should I still be using the Brcm kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other ?

OK - getting rid of them fixed the delay I was seeing starting the network on boot.

They did work to get me Bluetooth on the DW1510 under Mojave, but it looks like I'll need a new card if I want both wifi and bluetooth under Catalina.

There are a huge number of cards listed in Herve's latest inventory post.  Which are you using/would you recommend?  Looks like the DW1550 or DW1560 would be a good choice...

Thanks again for your help-

• Moderators

DW1510 does not have Bluetooth so you must be using another device for Bluetooth. 

DW1550 will work since it's a combo card but you'll still the 2 kexts mentioned above for wifi.

DW1560 will not wok since it's an M.2 card and you need a mini PCIe card.

If you have Bluetooth working prior with BRCM*, then try upgrading the kexts.

https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM/releases

YOu'll need these 3 kexts in /L/E:

• BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext 
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext 

• Like 1