Latitude e5420 w/ High Sierra 13.6 Still Waiting for Root Device

deeppvddles666

So, I've been at this for about three weeks now. I have a Dell Latitude e5420, with an i7 2620m, Sandy Bridge, 0Y3TWM Mobo, HD Graphics 3k, two 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks, 120GB SSD INTELSSDSA2CW120G3, and just recently found a Atheros AR5B93 wifi card (which I believe is finally a perfect hackintosh compatible card). 

About a week ago, I had finally gotten the whoooole thing up and running, trackpad, usb mouse, and regular keyboard and all (except for wifi, was using pdanet+)! Until my dog knocked my laptop off of my bed, landing on the usb that was holding everything, and breaking it completely :( a true tragedy.

Now, however, I feel like i've tried reinstalling even more times than it originally took me, and I'm at the point of almost giving up, but I know i'm so close, and I really, ReALLy want this to work. I had the same issue last time, and somehow, installing a newer version of Lilu and whatevergreen kexts solved the "still waiting for root device" issue, but this time it has not worked (unless i just did it wrong somehow). This screen shot is the most recent attempt, and it is what it shows before getting stuck on the waiting for root device. 

I have tried switching USB ports, using a completely different USB, and messing with the BIOS (although i'm nearly positive i've got the BIOS perfect, due to messing with it SO many times aready, and based off of how limitedthe BIOS section on this PC is). ANY ideas whatsoever? Please, i need help so bad haha.

hack.jpg

Edited by deeppvddles666
needed to add the text

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CLOVER.rarThanks for the quick reply! Was heading to work when i first posted it, though, so here it is. Admittedly, this is one of my sloppier builds, but I am ready to get yelled at, because tbh, I am not even sure how I don't have a drivers64 folder this time...kind of embarrassing, really, but I appreciate any guidance that i can get. Thanks for looking. 

(edit) Amazing that you guessed the USB issue right away, because that was my guess as well, only because of how it was working when it FInally did, that first time: The USB mouse would work sometimes on some boots, and then not the keyboard, or vise-versa, and just odd little things like that. I also am guessing i have an issue with my kexts, as well as my boot options when I run it. 

Thanks, Jake! Is there a way to use your bootpack without having a running OSX system to create the bootable media? I originally used the method of downloading from the macstore (searching "InstallESD" in their store's code, i believe would be the correct term?) and am unsure how exactly to proceed combining your method and the method i used previously.