DELL E5440 Brightness ACPIDebug error

msagres

Hello, I'm trying to fix the brightness Fn keys on my build.

I'm using the ACPIDebug method to identify the propers keys. But for the both keys the log returns ACPIDebug: "EC _Q66 enter". I tried to use somethink like Q66 for the Fn Up and Q65 for the down. But only the up worked.

Does it happend to anybody ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Patch Method BRT6 from this.

Method (BRT6, 2, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
            {
                Notify (LCD, 0x86)
            }
            If (And (Arg0, 0x02))
            {
                Notify (LCD, 0x87)
            }
        }

to 

Method (BRT6, 2, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
            {
                Notify (LCD, 0x86)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x10)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0206)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0286)
            }
            If (And (Arg0, 0x02))
            {
                Notify (LCD, 0x87)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x20)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0205)
                Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0285)
            }
        }

Thanks for yours replies. Unfortunately BRT6 method didn't work.

The console still returns QC66 for the both keys. Maybe I'm doing this wrong:

I opened my DSDT, cmd+f to found BRT6, replace with the proper method and save.

I also tried to read more about in the Hervé's guide for E7250, change my VoodooPS2 kext to R6Bronxteck kext but still the same.

Am I missing something ?

• Administrators

The console will keep returning that same code; don't waste your time on this. Make sure you've also injected Darwin and modified the ACOS conditional settings in OSID method. Without it, the BRT6 patch will simply not work.

Post your DSDT and state BIOS mode: legacy or EFI; I've got a feeling it possibly impacts the effectiveness of the patch because I had to apply a different patch on my E6220 which operates in legacy mode unlike the E6230, E7250 and 7490 on which the BRT6 patch was successfully applied. I had posted a revised E6220 pack with that DSDT patch in my E6220 Guide last summer. You may look that up too.

Ok I will try it. I'm kind new with DSDT I don't know if I understand yours advises right.

For the BIOS I think it's in EFI everything related to legacy is unchecked and the boot sequence is on UEFI.

To build my setup, I mixed some EFIs together maybe some kexts or else are the problem.

I don't kwon if I'm authorized, I upload my EFI on GDrive since it's higher than the max total size allowed.

And thanks for the time you spend on my case.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YPphTD8G62CqwWLNZ1cc95SVfvjlvSjB

• Administrators

You never patched the OSID method, so it could never work... Try this DSDT instead.

DSDT.aml.zip  DSDT.dsl.zip

Your kexts folder is a God awful mess! Get rid of:

1. all those .dSYM files
  2. all those dsdt/ssdt files
  3. VoodooHDA kext (you're using AppleALC !!!)
  4. FakePCIID_xxxx kexts
  5. NullCPUPowerManagement kext
  6. AppleIntelFramebufferAzul kext
  7. USBInjector kext (you're using USBInjectAll !!!)
  8. TotallyFixStillWaiting kext (can't see why you would have any issue running disk in AHI mode on an E5440)

Then, do you really need ?

1. AHCI_Extended_injector kext (AHCI is is supported on Dell Latitude since the D Series!)
  2. AirPortAtheros40 kext   \
  3. AirportBrcmFixup kext     \
  4. HoRNDIS kext                       >   just what kind of wireless card do you have ?
  5. RtWlanbU kext                   /
  6. RtWlanU1827 kext         /

You really ought to identify what hardware you run with and install only the necessary kexts. Throwing everything you can find in the hope things will work is the best recipe for trouble or disaster...

Clover config could be cleaned up a bit too but I found nothing that should cause you any particular problem bootig and running your Hack.

Thanks a lot, yes it seems it was a real mess.

Following yours advises, was what my setup needed. It seems more fluid now.

For the audio I had to turn back to VoodooHDA to make it work. And for the Wi-Fi I'm using a dongle, in waiting for a BCM94352HMB. I cleaned also this part only leaving Rts for the moment. For the BCM I think I only need AirportBrcmFixup, and BrcmPatchRAMs right ?

Unfortunately, for the brightness the both keys still re-up the light, no down. I tried with the aml alone in patched folder, with the both aml and dsl but no change.

Yes you right, that's why its seems better now with the correct necessary kexts.

• Administrators

DSDT.dsl is just the source code; to be used in case you want to make further mods and avoid the iASL bug. If the patch does not work, you may turn and add those values Jake Lo had provided for BRT6 method before eventually considering to the patch I injected to the E6220 DSDT.

Oh and you probably need Dr Hurt's Alps VoodooPS2Controller R6 compiled by Bronxteck.

Oh, ok well I keep it in a folder.

I also tried with Jake Lo method and Bronxteck's kext, the both keys still re-up the light but sometime the up key modifies the volume.

And when I keep pressing, it seems the key is sharing the brightness with the volume.

Yes it seems your E6220 also use the keys for the brightness, too bad it didn't do the trick.

Well I didn't expect it was so thought to remap these keys.