Problem Creating USB Pen Install Disk

RussellS

Hi, I have just attempted to install OSX Lion onto a Dell D620 laptop and I have obviously gone wrong somewhere and would like a little guidance please.

I followed the guide here in the wiki but when I came to boot the D620 from the USB stick it won't boot and just sits there with a flashing '-' on the screen.

There was one bit in the guide that I was a little confused about and may, or may not, be where I went wrong. In step 'B' it says "1. Download and run the "myHack EDP Edition" from the bottom of this page" but when I go to the link at the bottom of the page I can only find a download link for MyHack 2.2 and can not find any reference to an EDP edition. I used the MyHack 2.2 from this page but am not sure if this was the correct one or not.

The Mac I was using to create the bootable USB pen is running Snow Leopard and I have the "Install OS X Lion.app" in the Applications folder. The USB pen used is an 8gb one.

I followed the MyHack guide here and everything appeared to go fine but, as already said, the USB pen won't boot.

Can anyone see where I may have gone wrong and point me in the right direction please.

Russell

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the MyHack process did take quite a long time to the point that I thought it had locked up at one stage but it did complete with no errors.

I did download the correct bootpack for the D620 and copied the Extra folder onto the USB stick replacing the one already there.

I have looked on the MyHack website but I cannot find a download link for the 2.1 version. There is a page for 2.1 but it just says "This version is now deprecated, consult the downloads page for a link to the latest version." which links to the new 2.2 version.

It sounds as though I am using the correct utility then. I'll see if I can find the 2.1 version somewhere and try that. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

• Administrators

quote: USB stick it won't boot and just sits there with a flashing '-' on the screen.

that means that you did not install chameleon boot loader or if you did it's corrupted and needs to be reinstalled

as for my hack.... you can use 2.2 http://myhack.sojugarden.com/downloads/ when it asks for extra folder just point it to the boot pack.... after you finish install of osx install edp and run edptool.command from the extra folder. build for your model latitude.

that means that you did not install chameleon boot loader or if you did it's corrupted and needs to be reinstalled

Does that mean that I need to install the Chameleon Bootloader seperately then. Only, looking at the MyHack 2.2 download page it says:

myHack 2.2 contains:

The myHack binary.

Chameleon 2.1svn r1827 edited to add OS X 10.8 support.

OSInstall MOD for OS X 10.6, 10.6.3, 10.7 and 10.7.3 Installation Sources.

The OS X port of lspci.

So I assumed that the bootloader would be installed as part of the process.

Anyway, I'm going to go through the process again and see if it works better this time.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

Does that mean that I need to install the Chameleon Bootloader seperately then. Only, looking at the MyHack 2.2 download page it says:

So I assumed that the bootloader would be installed as part of the process.

Anyway, I'm going to go through the process again and see if it works better this time.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

Yes your right - the only thing you need is the myhack created boot USB key and the replaced extra folder for the correct D620 for the initial boot and Lion install (and the initial boot is where your stuck as I understand it) - the Chameleon and EDP install is once your into Lion for the first time (I downloaded these both separately to install) - but (excuse me if I'm wrong) the Chameleon included in the myhack build is used for the initial boot - but you don't install this it's part of the USB boot process created by myhack.

Hope that makes sense (and anyone shout up if I'm incorrect).

Cheers

Well, I've just gone through the complete process again and got the same result. I doesn't appear to be the laptop causing the problem because I have tried the USB stick in another computer & that won't boot from it either.

I have tried another USB stick with a bootable Linux distro on it and that boots fine. So I know my D620 can boot from a USB stick just fine.

Also, if I try and boot from a USB stick that isn't bootable and just has data on it then the laptop will just recognise this fact and continue to boot into Windows (currently installed on the HDD). To me, this indicates that the MyHack created USB stick is being made bootable because it sits at a flashing curser and doesn't boot into Windows but it cannot find any boot files on the stick.

Is it possible that my USB stick is at fault. I have tried to find the 2.1 version of MyHack just to use as a process of elimination but I cannot find it anywhere. All the links I can find just point to the newer version.

I will try to get another 8gb USB stick today to see if that works and I will let you know.

Russell

Send me a PM and I'll send you a link to my dropbox copy of myhack 2.1 (don't want to publish the link here as don't know if it breaks the forum rules / in respect of the original author) - if we can prove the myhack 2.2 version has an issue with Dells then we can let the author know to try and help get it fixed (in the end myhack is a generic app not specific to Dell's).

Cheers