E7450: system lag with BCM4350

jabartek

Hi,

I've been wanting to install Catalina on my Dell E7450 and being able to easily obtain a BCM4350-based card (T77H649 to be exact) I decided to give it a shot. I used the E7450 Catalina bootpack for installation (removing FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi AirportBrcmFixup kexts, as the method apparently does not need these) and this method for the WiFi card. I was able (albeit with troubles) to install the system on my machine, but even after tuning the config based on the information from IORegistryExplorer, it only works for a couple minutes before becoming unresponsive. WiFi itself seems to be working fine (until the system freezes) and pci-aspm-default is being set to 0 according to the IORegistryExplorer. 

I'm wondering if it's a problem with my config or with the hardware and would be grateful if someone could give it a glance. Thanks! :) 

I also tried booting with seemingly all combinations of FixAirport, AddDTGP, FakePCIID kexts and had the same problem each time. FixAirport and AddDTGP didn't also apparently have effect on the IOReg - I couldn't find the ARPT device there. I tried applying pci-aspm-default 0 to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x03) device (1 level higher then the card itself), as it is at 0x02 at default, but even though value inject itself worked, the freeze problem persisted.

CLOVER.zip

MacBook Pro (Bartłomiej).ioreg

Did the trick, I can see ARPT device now , but the issue still stands. I also found out that at some point I must've added FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Broadcom... to /L/E, but removing them (with rebuild ofc) did not change anything sadly

• Administrators

There's no need to quote every message you reply to, so -please- don't!

You appear to have done everything by the book, so nothing further to suggest I'm afraid. I assume you've already disabled Wifi and booted Ok to be able to identify issue came from the BCM4350 card.

Sorry for the quotes thing - won't happen again

So is there anything else I could try (like pin masking or sth) or should I just look for another card as it could be assumed this one will not work with other methods if it does not work with yours?

• Administrators

I've had no issue with all the BCM4350 cards I've tested once I applied the ASPM patch. This includes the Lenovo 00JT494/Foxconn T77H649.00 model. I gave that card to @Allan who's got wireless working on his own laptop (can't remeber the model). @Jake Lo also got BCM4350 cards working in his Latitude E7x50 so he can vouch for (some of) them.

I've been tinkering with my DW1820A serial CN-096JNT and other BCM4350. I put in device properties and BRCM kexts in kext/other.

I found out that if you go to BIOS>Wireless>Wireless switch> and turn everything OFF, also in BIOS>Wireless> and turn WWAN OFF, and enable just WLAN and Bluetooth, the freeze/lag is gone, and WiFI and Bluetooth work fine. Hope this helps you.144572547_ScreenShot2020-07-26at12_56_12PM.png.377c2106b1aba7d1bedaf3eb38e81116.png

1072154292_ScreenShot2020-07-26at12_56_46PM.png.3b84878aa06fc1e20649a7dde2b476b8.png