Nvidia D630, A17, can't boot from USB stick

matt31415

Hope this is an easy one, folks; I've got a D630 with the Nvidia NVS-135m graphics. Doing a Lion install; created the installer USB via the guide on the site; it went perfectly. pointed the MyHack utility to the extra folder for the D630/Nvidia combo and everything completed perfectly.

I also updated the Bios to the A17 OSX modified one here, for D630/Nvidia. Also went fine.

My hangup now, however, is that when I hit F12 to boot to USB, it hangs on "Preparing one-time boot menu" and never gets past that. So I went into the bios and moved USB device up to the top of the boot order, rebooted, still, hangs at the bios splash screen. the progress bar gets about 80% done and just hangs there. I've had it before where it will slow down quite a bit, but I gave it 20 minutes before giving up. It just seems like it won't boot with my 32GB drive.

Question: is this 32GB drive causing the problem? it's an unusually large size for older hardware, I suppose...

I will see if I can find an 8GB drive to try this all again on and report back, but in the meantime I wondered if anybody had any ideas or easy fixes. Thanks in advance for your responses!

-Matt

• Administrators

Dear matt,

I think the bios is not working properly for the system after you updated it. You should flash back the bios with original dell ones and then try to boot you usb stick again. Updating original bios with modified ones is not essential to install os x.

Cheers!

Dear matt,

I think the bios is not working properly for the system after you updated it. You should flash back the bios with original dell ones and then try to boot you usb stick again. Updating original bios with modified ones is not essential to install os x.

Cheers!

Thanks, Syonagar, I started upon the same realization this morning when I tried it in another D630 and it booted. Yeah this one I flashed A17 on won't even finish POST when with any kind of USB drive in the port. I'll probably have to go into the office and get a floppy drive (and hopefully there's a floppy disk floating around somewhere!) and try to restore.

Funny part, it seemed to go totally fine, no apparent problems whatsoever.

Just a follow-up, I'm typing this from a D620 running Lion!

That may sound confusing since I started with a D620, but I have one of each. I have the D630 running SL 10.6.8, and this D620 running Lion 10.7.3

Once I worked out my bios issues it was smooth sailing. Turns out it really wanted a smaller thumbdrive than I was using. a 512MB drive worked great. The D620 is running the custom A10 firmware but the 630 is still using the restored A17 stock...I might try it out again if I'm feeling bold.

Now i have one of each major platform I see around work, so I can start familiarizing myself with OS X...my boss, the mac guru around here is leaving in May and i'm stepping up to fill her position, but I currently know almost nothing about mac OS, so this should help, without me having to spend too much money.