Dell Latitude 3400: macOS installation keeps failing

MrJonesIII

Hi.

My new 3400 has a slightly different configuration to Dell Dude. Here it is -  http://linux-hardware.org/?probe=bcaff24112 I'm using Clover 5104 and the 3400.zip file kindly posted by Jake Lo on the 15th Feb. Clover correctly detects the screen resolution (1920x1080), but when I run the installer, the Mac logo is in the wrong spot on the screen and it then the install stalls with a zero with a line through it, but this image is duplicated in two places on the screen and shaded. I used a MacBook Pro 15,2 , and 11.1as the configuration, I'm suspecting that this might be wrong. Which one should I use to get this to work? How does one normally work this sort of thing out and know which one to choose? 

Thanks. 

MJJ

@MrJonesIII Not sure if this will help you, but I think I had to use the nv_disable=1 boot argument to get it to boot to the installer. Our MX130 cards might be interfering with the injection for the Intel graphics.

Note: I don't still need to use that argument on my HD install, but do believe I did initially for the USB installer.

• Like 1

Thanks for that @Dell Dude. I'll give it a go. Just realised, however, that I'm going to have a very difficult time with finding a wifi/BT card that's going to work with this thing... Beginning to think that I should just try to run Mac OS in a VM on Win10. :-( Does anyone know if there's a wifi/BT card that will work in the same slot that the Intel 9560NGWR is plugged into now...? 

• Moderators

@MrJonesIII

What you're describing is USB issue. It's not detecting your USB installer. Make sure you have set in the BIOS the following settings at minimum:

• UEFI enabled
  • Legacy Option ROMS disabled
  • AHCI enabled
  • Secure Boot disabled

Stick with MBP15,2 since you have a Coffee Lake model.

Re: Wireless cards, these will work:

DW1560, DW1820A, and DW1830 (requires 3 antennas)

@Jake Lo Thanks for that. 

I actually believe I did have those settings set, but I might have missed one. The list you provided here for BIOS setting didn't translate too well for me when I went into the BIOS settings menus. I was tired, so perhaps not concentrating as much as I should have. I'll look and try again. I'l start from scratch with the Mojave installer too, just in case. 

With the hint and alternative wifi/BT option, thanks for that too. The Intel one that comes with it, the connector is very different to the DW1820A model you mentioned. I was worried that this meant that it was a slightly different connector spec and therefore not compatible. When Dell support told me that the only devices compatible were these - 

1. Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Single Band (1x1) Wireless Adapter + Bluetooth 4.1
2. Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Dual Band (2x2) Wireless Adapter + Bluetooth 4.2 
3. Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 9560 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Card (2x2). Bluetooth (Optional)
4. Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2x2 .11ax 160MHz + Bluetooth 5.0 

... that also made me even more suspicious and reluctant to blow AUD$50+ on a card that wouldn't plug in, much less work. Are they actually the same connector with just some additional security feature that comes with the DW1820A that is meant to stop people from putting the 9560-type cards into those slots, but there is no reason the DW1820A couldn't plug into the other slot? If you could please confirm this, I'd really appreciate it. 

A million thanks! 

Hi all. Just tried to install Mojave on my Dell E3400 (http://linux-hardware.org/?probe=bcaff24112) using @Jake Lo's Catalina based Clover folder and didn't get too far. Please see attached boot log. The initial screen resolution looked perfect, but once it goes to verbose, it halts with the lines shown and goes no further. I'm thinking it's the wrong Clover files and kexts with Mojave, but some input from the gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Using Clover_v2.5k_r5103. Replaced the ACPI and kexts folders with the ones in Jake's folder. 

Thanks. MJJ

IMG_3397.jpeg