Dell Latitude 3400: macOS installation keeps failing

MrJonesIII

• Moderators

Sorry for not getting a better experience with the Hack. You probably need to do a more thorough research before getting another NVMe drive.

These are a few brand that's been know to need the block size swap patch to work:

Plextor, LiteOn, Hynix, Intel, Toshiba..

You can read more about this issue here

• Moderators

Just read through this thread and notice you were trying to install Mojave and Catalina. Not sure which one you tried with the Config I added for the NVMe for Catalina.

I just added a second patch for Mojave if that's what you have been trying to install. The new patch should work for Sierra to Mojave.

config.plist.zip

@Jake Lo - First off, you never ever need to apologise to me for anything, pal. You guys who take hours of your own time to help occasional Hackintoshers like me are heroes, maybe not as great a hero as a person working in the medical industry right now, but certainly selfless and gracious in your allocation of time to help us all out. Thank you a million times. 

Secondly, I was trying to put Catalina on that drive the last few tests, but thanks for the Mojave patch as well. I'd prefer to go with Mojave if possible.

I'm a little confused as to what it was supposed to achieve, though. Are you saying that this patch is going to make one of those two problematic NVMe drives work? Is there anything I could possibly do to help you make that happen?

It was by the shearest of coincidences that I managed to get the second one sent to me, and it's not going to happen again, so I was planning on going down the road of trying to put Linux on this thing and then run a emulated machine and somehow diverting the Intel GPU to the VM. I've seen some people have success with that on desktops, but am fully aware of people being warned off trying to do it with laptops. 

The situation is that my 15" mid-2014 MBP Retina is starting to die and I need better performance from a more modern CPU and GPU, so my employer told me that they'd be happy to supply me with a high-spec Dell one, and that I could hack it, but not spend any more of the company's money to do that. I looked up the 3400 and saw that it had some decent specifications, and that some people had some success with Hackintoshing it, so told them to go ahead, but it turned up with a different wifi card, and this incompatible Samsung NVMe drive. I thought the drive was faulty so Dell sent out a replacement, which also proved to be incompatible. 

If there was some way to adjust the bootloader so that it could improve the chances of compatibility without the need to buy another NVMe drive, I'd like to try, and in turn help anyone else who had lucked into these drives like I did... 

@Jake Lo Thanks for that. So what was that config patch that you so kindly provided meant to change? 

I tried installing onto an external USB drive, but it didn't work. It would get to the second restart during the installation process and I'd get a corrupted screen with a big O with a cross through it. 

• Moderators

The link I posted above explained it better than I could. I added the patch thinking that might be the case for your NVMe drive brand.

As for the No Entry error, it means it's not detecting your USB device. Try using a different USB port and make sure system didn't sleep during the process because USB might not re mount after sleep, hence the error.

@Jake Lo - Ok, got it, thanks. Thanks too for trying to help again and again. I think in the interests of not wasting any of yours or Hervé's time I have to abandon all hope here with this thing. Can't afford another NVMe disk. Installing onto an external USB keeps failing again and again. This thing has beaten me. I'm done.